In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what scope?

toddwilson_@excite.comtoddwilson_@excite.com Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
just bought a remington 597 22 mag standard model.what scope would you put on this rifle ?it is mainly goona be a plinker and possibly a little varmit hunting.any preferences?what do you think of this rifle?thanks in advance donkeep on bangin boys

Comments

• Options
    toddwilson_@excite.comtoddwilson_@excite.com Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay I'm breaking out my trusty brush and rough terrain deer rifle this year. Winchester model 100 .308. Most of my shots will be 100-150 yards and none over 200. Up until last year iron sights were all I ever needed. Now a scope looks pretty good. I don't want a variable and don't need more than say 4x or 6x at the most. What do you think? I'm leaning toward leupold,nikon or maybe weaver. As always thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that you said you didn't want a variable. However I will tell you my favorite brush scope. It's a Leupold vari-XIII 1.5-5. When I'm hunting brush I keep it on 1.5 or 2. If I move out to an area with some open fields or power lines. I turn it up to 5. Works great, low power can pick up a target quick. The higher power is enough for that longer shot.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above post. For my 308, I use a 1.5x6. That seems to be a good power range for this particular caliber. Good light gathering and field of view at the lower power, enough magnification for the longer range shot.

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    My preference would be a Leupold Alaskan 2 1/2x if one could be found. Otherwise I'd go for an M8 3x Leupold.