In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

water in barrrel

pladsplads Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
I know some swat force guys (called STAR force in Australia)and apparently they've been training with H&K MP5's (?) and jumping 10 meters (33 feet) into water from helicopters. That's a good feat, but I asked whether they plug the barrels and make the action/breech waterproof. apparently not. they are supposed to drain the water out of the barrel befor firing if they need to fire. Isn't that frought with danger? a little help here from the experts would be nice. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had occasion to need to fire after submerging in water....
    I did not give it much thought at the time...I guess it worked out 'cause I am still here.

When given time to think, if you can allow the thing to 'drain' (from a couple of angles if possible), it should operate OK. I am not speaking of custom, very close fit, guns....just military or blue collar pieces.

In the day to day world, I would probably break it down and clean it up before firing. It may not be necessary, but I may do it anyway.

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Here is the big thing to remember about guns and water. If you are going to try this it HAS to be FULL or EMPTY not half full, partialy full, ect. I am not totaly sure how it works but if the gun is FULL of water (totaly under water) there is no pressure spike to blow things up. If you go and stick half the BBL in the water it acts like a BBL obstruction causeing pressure spikes and BOOOOMMMM. When you see the guys in the water with the guns (not hollywood) when they come up/out they tip the BBL down letting the water run out. Is it the safest pratice, probably not, but you need to train the way you will use them. Like plads said they are militay style firearms, not you standard hunting rifles.

I should also add that this should only be done with NON EXPANDING ammo ie. FMJ only.

Just remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither!!!

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

John
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Standard USGI drill when exiting the water with a semiauto: Lower the muzzle, pull the bolt slightly to the rear (allows air to enter the bore), release the bolt, hit forward assist.

I've fired MP5's after completely submerging them in water and without taking time to drain the bore. No problems.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    The MP5 has a large enough bore to allow the water to drain without much help.

The .22 caliber barrel of a military rifle is small enough that the water can remain in by capillary action unless it is intentionally drained.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net