In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun not accurate

boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
I bought a 17 hmr a few months ago. It's a NEF sporter got it to carry in the truck to pop goundhogs . Well I put a 3/9 scope on it an went to sight it in an the best that it will group is around 2 inches at a hundred yrd's. Called NEF they said as long as it groups under 2 1/2 inches at 100 yrd's that's there standard. My question,is there any way to thighten up the groups or should I trade it off. A friend has the same gun an it put's them in the same hole. I already tried a different scope that didn't help.

Comments

• tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trigger job might help?
    Those usualy shoot sub moa.
    Try tightning / loosning foreend screw
    Try another brand ammo 1st
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense.... But you might have your friend shoot yours and see if its possibly something your doing instead of the gun.

Also shoot the same ammo he used to get the better groups. Ammo has a LOT to do with accuracy.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where are you placing the gun on the bag? With a break action, I like the bag all the way back aganst the trigger guard.
    You can't test the rifle/ammo acuracy potential offhand.
  • ibrakeforpenguinsibrakeforpenguins Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger 96/17 in 17HMR. At 100 yards, it's very subject to wind. If your groups are wide horizontally, I wouldn't sweat it.

Step 1: Cut the front barrel band or simply dismount it if it has one. It won't make a difference until the gun warms up or it's a warm day. Just trust the idea that free-float barrels are better.

Step 2: Lighten up the trigger. The 17 cal guns are usually lightweight, so it's really easy to botch firing it if it has a heavy trigger. I'm currently looking for a gunsmith for mine since I can outshoot myself with a 30-06 over the same distance.

Step 3: Don't use CCI ammo. I know several people with 17HMRs and none of them work well with CCI. Try Remington or Federal. Federal makes a polymer point which works like a champ, but their hollow points arn't bad either (just not as good as the polymer tips). You get what you pay for in 17HMR since you can't reload it.

Step 4: Try not cleaning it (or cleaning it more). The CZ my buddy has actually does not like to be cleaned. We clean it "just enough" to tighten up the groups and it's proven to be a real pain. My Ruger, however, likes to be squeaky clean.

Step 5: Have a beer before shooting so you can steady that excited hand. (kidding).
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the other suggestions are good ones. I would like to add recutting the crown to the mix. I have a Remington 700 .223 that wouldn't group less than 2" until we put a new crown (11 degree) on it. It now shoots a ragged hole with almost any ammo.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Check the scope MOUNT..be very sure that it is tight.

There are always rifles that will not shoot, however...you may indeed have one.
    A new barrel for that little rifle is only 80-90 bucks, however.....unless they have taken a big jump in price lately...
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He stated that he already tried a different scope.
    quote:Originally posted by RustyNail
    I like the previous suggestions--however, I would recommend that you try a different scope on the gun and rule out problems there before you modify the gun. Its not uncommon for a bad scope to undergo slight "adjustments" with each shot (shock). OR you could mount the questionable scope on a gun of known accuracy and test the scope that way. Just a thought[;)]
  • redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello, why put more money in a gun than what it is worth. by the time you do all of that you could have bought a tack shooter that you could be proud of..... just a thought?
  • RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
    He stated that he already tried a different scope.
    quote:Originally posted by RustyNail
    I like the previous suggestions--however, I would recommend that you try a different scope on the gun and rule out problems there before you modify the gun. Its not uncommon for a bad scope to undergo slight "adjustments" with each shot (shock). OR you could mount the questionable scope on a gun of known accuracy and test the scope that way. Just a thought[;)]

Whoops! He sure did [:(!] And i get so irritated when other people do that[^]