In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee RGB dies

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
With the Lee RGB die set (resizer/decapper and seater) does the seater die have a crimping feature or do I HAVE to get the 3 die set/crimping die? In other words, can I crimp with just the seater die at all or do I have to get the crimping die as well?

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    They do crimp if adjusted right, or you can leave them turned up a bit for no crimp.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one point I bought the Lee crimping dies for just about everything I had; Hornet, .222, .257 etc.
    I no longer use them on anything but the really thin walled rounds like the .38-40 and .44-40. Saves a lot of buckled brass. I had good luck with them in the Hornet as well until Meacham convinced me they were unnecessary.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nemesisenforcer,

I'm assuming by your picture that you are reloading a 'bottle-neck' rifle cartridge. YES, the Lee dies will put a crimp at the neck of the case for you.

Place a piece of brass that is ready to load in the shell holder in the press with the bullet seater screwed into the press a couple turns. Run the case up into the die. Screw the die down onto the case until you meet resistance and the die won't screw down anymore without moving the bullet down. the die is now sitting on the neck of the case. Turn the die 1/8th to 1/4 turn to get the desired neck tension. Turn the bullet seater to the point where if you put a bullet in the case mouth it would just touch. Then measure the bullet sitting on the top of the neck and measure how much you can put it into the case. A set of tap and dies should have a thread guage and that will tell you how many threads per inch you have. Each turn shoud be .0072" Turn the dies in as far they go. Run the case back inwith bullet in the mouth. You should have one bullet just about perfect for coyote hunting. Repeat until you have what you wan't.