In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning 22 semi-auto rifle

sanfelascosanfelasco Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a Browning 22 semi-auto rifle that I am attempting to find a year of manufacture on. The serial number does not match any of the sequences on Browning's site or the information in the back of the Blue Book. The serial Number has 5 digits, followed by a T and then two more digits. he last two digits are in the 30's, so as you can see, it does not fit the published 'main stream' information. The barrel has Made in Belgium on it and the gun has the original box with the same serial number. The gun is in mint, 99%+ condition. Since I am not the original owner, I do not know if it has been fired or not.

I would like to solve the age mystery though.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've had a lot of questions in the past similar to yours. Although the Browning Web Site and the B B state that the date on Browning firearms is a prefix to the serial number, this is not correct. Sometimes it was a suffix. My WAG is that if your rifle has a "3" after the "T", it was made in 1963.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will Browning tell you??
  • Options
    788-308788-308 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search of this site for Browning 22 Auto. There is an old post here that has very good info on the serial numbers.

During 1973 and maybe 1974, the numbers in the suffix were transposed. >T73 and T37 were both manf. in 1973.

If you call Browning, they will verify this information.