In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45-70 Ammo Questions

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I do know there is a carbine rifle but just read that there is a cartridge called, "carbine 45-70". Is this the same size as the 45-70 (for a trapdoor) or is it something smaller? Less powder? Luger01 where are you????

Comments

• king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cartridges are more or less the same. The basic 45/70 cartridge is no pussycat when it comes to recoil, and when fired in the shorter, lighter trapdoor carbine, it is rather unpleasant. The army (in the 1880's) toned down the charge to make it more comfortable for the carbine. In fact either 45/70 cartridge can be fired in the rifle and in the carbine, subject, of course to the recoil difficulty.Morty (mkood@prodigy.net)
  • 32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 45-60. There are scant few references to it. Looks like a 45-70, but only 60 grains of BP. The hotchkiss also used these 'light' loads. Winchester started loading the 45-60WCF in 1879 for these two types of rifles. Simply to save sholders, I believe.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I was concerned that I might use the wrong ammo for the wrong gun. After all, I have but one shoulder to give to my range!
  • luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hairy,King hit the X-ring! The round you are referring to is what the U.S. issued for the Springfield Trapdoor Carbine. (I know - that's not the official designation, but everyone knows what a "trapdoor" rifle is).The round was dimensionally identical, but used a lighter load to reduce recoil in the lighter, shorter carbines. In actual practice, any available .45/70 ammo was used in both the rifles and carbines.Check out the article in the American Rifleman, Sept. 2001, p. 69 (You ARE an NRA member, right?) It's really a nice write up about the Springfield Carbines.If you reload, there are some great light loads in the Hodgdon manual that are downright fun to shoot, and very easy on the old rifles. Black powder loads are also not abusive to you or the rifles, as long as you do proper cleaning after shooting. I mean, the guns were designed for BP cartridges after all.[This message has been edited by luger01 (edited 09-12-2001).]
  • turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone answered you'r question.The 45-70 was designed primarily for the rifle in 1873. It was also, used for the carbine.I just wanted to clarify one point, There was a Carbine 45-50 cal cartridge the government came out specifically for the Trapdoor Carbine in 1873.Just another bit of info, hope this helps.
  • w n whitew n white Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GreetingsIf memory serves .45-70-405 for carbine and .45-70-500 for rifle. Luck, they do kick--Bill
  • georgewxxxgeorgewxxx Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Auctually there was a U.S. government round designated for carbine use, called .45-55-405, and the head was stamped with US Carbine on it, then later with just a C, and other arsenal and contract markings as is done on modern military ammunition. The 55 means 55gr. of black powder, thats a reduced load from the standard 70gr rifle charge.
    Man is naturally an animal of pray, and however changed by civilization will readily relapse into his instinct for distruction!