In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Walther P99 &Magnum Research baby eagle performance

smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Ive been considering on purchasing these handguns but know very little about their performance &reliabiliy. What are the pros and cons for these pistols? Some people have told me about the wierd trigger setting on the P99's but have never tried it before... Dont know a lick about these Baby Eagles (miniature Desert Eagle). Any help would be appreciated.thanks,Smooth

Comments

• M.OpaliskiM.Opaliski Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no first hand experience with the P99, however, the Baby Eagle pistols are solid shooters in my opinion. I have an IMI Jericho which is identical to the the Baby Eagle's. They are well balanced and built tough ... definately a good shooting platform.
    Support your RKBA ... MatthewNRA Life MemberTalk Radio Junkie opaliski@hotmail.com TheFirearmsEnthusiast
  • spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    I have the S&W 99 variant (in 40 S&W) on the Walther P99 and don't care for it much anymore at all. It was my first .40 & I have 4 of various brands, my favorite the HK USP.Magnum Research products are first rate; I shoot a .44Mag Model VII regularly in competition & feel very good about the results.I don't think the Baby Eagle would be a disappointment.You might look at Kimber's new .40 as well in the 1911 style;they're known for producing first-rate products: http://www.kimberamerica.com/Media.htm
  • stikjockstikjock Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got both a Walther P-99 in 9mm and a baby eagle (9mm). The baby eagle works like a charm, very few jams or stoppages. The Walther has a tendency to stovepipe. I've tried a number of different ammo brands and loads, but still have the same problem. The Walther is very ergonomic and light. The Baby Eagle is ergonomic, but rather heavier. All said and done, I'll never sell the Baby Eagle. The Walther is probably going to go in trade towards something else.
  • marinebadgermarinebadger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow! Nobody seems to like the P99. I have to defend it a little. I too have only shot the S&W model in .40 cal. I have never had any problems with it. I have fired around 600 rounds through it and have friends who have put even more through it. I believe it to be mechanically sound. But the reason I wanted to shoot it in the first place was the design. The 99 is the most comfortable handgun I have ever held. It matches my hand beautifully. And all the extra features are nice...interchangable backstraps...cocking indicator...loaded chamber indicator...decocker....and I like where the mag release is. On the P99 you may look at a model without some of those features. (decocker)That's my two cents. Don't know a thing about the babys except that I would like to shoot one.
  • smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay guys... Thanks for the information all of you have provided. I myself have an HK USP40 compact which I just recently bought (after selling my old one 5 yrs ago.) great guns.... I'll have to go out and try to shoot both of these pistols before I buy. If there is any more info you would like to add, please let me know.thanks again,-Smooth
  • Mr. TimMr. Tim Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Walther P99 in 40 S&W. I also have a Glock 23 & 27. as far as the 40 cal. is concerned I like the little Glock 27 the best as far as shooting it goes. The Walther gets alot of looks and questions at the range. As far as carring them goes, I like the way the Walther feels better than the Glocks. It's easyer to draw and much faster as far as aquiring your target. I don't know if it's because of the grip design or not. The only bad thing I have noticed about the Walther P-99 is the way that the trigger kind of pinches your trigger finger sometimes. I thought it was just me however I have heard of other people say the same thing. I love my Walther I just don't like the high price tag on the mags(45.00 to 60.)If you get the Walther you will have to shoot it a good bit to get used to it. Once you get used to it you will not want to get rid of it and it will become your favorite carry gun. Good luck with your quest. I hope that I have shed some light on the subject.Mr. Tim
  • smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info Mr. Tim. As far as getting used to it...well, I switched from an HK USP to a Beretta 92 several years back and what a nightmare. With this one, I'll have to be more cautious.thanks again,smooth