In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

GLOCK 17vsBERETTA92F/S I HAVE A DILEMA!! HELP

At_The_GatesAt_The_Gates Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
these is the situation...Ihave a beretta 92f/s 9mm. I love the gun. Its very accurate, you can still get hi-caps for cheap, i really love the gun. The only problem i have its that the gun its a little heavy. I bought to my girlfriend a Glock 17 with 3 original hi caps(17rds) for $550 after tax (yes a hell of a deal). I like the lightweight of the gun. I shoot it all the time when i go target practice and i like the gun also.MY QUESTION TO THE EXPERTS ITS THE FOLLOWING... Just because of the simple fact of the weight, should i trade my realiable berreta 92f/s for a glock 17??I need every single feedback, information and honest opinion of any of your guys. Believe me these its a decision i will make based on your opinions,feedbacks and informations.Im gratefull to you all in advance.[This message has been edited by At_The_Gates (edited 09-12-2001).]

Comments

• gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not keep both. Both are great guns. I personally prefer the Glock, but if I had both, I'd keep and shoot both.-Marcus
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO! Dont do it!Personal experiance tells me that EVERYTIME I've traded a good, accurate, reliable gun to buy something else ... I've regretted it!Save your nickles and buy yourself a 17 as well ... note the Glock 19 is even lighter, and only slightly smaller ... and can hold 15 rounds with pre-ban mags If after awhile you find you don't shoot the Beretta ... who cares? It doesn't really cost you anything to keep it ... you dont have to pay taxes on it (yet) and it wont cost anything extra to keep it warm or feed it ... IMHO
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I agree with Kimberkid. I too have regretted it. Even when I've replaced it with the exact same model later, I always felt the other one was better or I've wound up losing more money than I could imagine. I also think the Beretta is a better gun in the long run. I wouldn't trade!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marry the girlfriend, then (assuming you live in a joint property State) you'll be a legal co-owner of the Glock 17. (She should certainly be willing to marry you if you've given her the Glock along with those three high capacity mags!)
  • SP TigerSP Tiger Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't sell the Beretta, save and buy a Glock 19. You can find a good deal on them if you look around first. I stupidly sold my Glock 19 a few years ago with two hi-cap mags, practically new for $325. Stupid move.
    Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • RUSHIIIRUSHIII Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My crazy husband (just out of the hospital) said to tell you he would trade you a glock 17 for the berretta.YOU GUYS GOTTA SEND HELP, HE's driving me nutz.Ms RushIII
  • RUSHIIIRUSHIII Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My crazy husband (just out of the hospital) said to tell you he would trade you a glock 17 for the berretta.YOU GUYS GOTTA SEND HELP, HE's driving me nutz.Ms RushIII
  • smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to consider everything that is said on the replies here. On one hand, the Beretta is defenitely far more accurate than any Glock. On the other, the Glock makes up for its lack of accuracy with its reliability. Keep in mind that 92's are prone to malfunctions when dirty. Other than that...its a whole world of compromises...these guys are right. Keep your 92 and buy a Glock. BTW, thats a great price with 3 mags. Also, there is a big difference in balance when comparing these two pistols, you might want to check on that.$325? Jesus man! where were you when I traded a brand new SIG2340 fro a used G19 with a high cap mag?good luck-Smooth
  • henselhensel Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot both the Beretta and Glock extensively and here is my opinion.The Beretta is accurate and easy to find high-cap mags for. I have to admit the Beretta has more style points. But the Beretta is very prone to jamming when dry (little lube) or dirty. It also seems to have a design flaw because I have seen MANY broken locking blocks in my time working for a shooting range. When that part breaks it almost always renders the pistol useless by jamming the slide forward and the pistol needs to be taken to a pistolsmith.I have to strongly disagree with smooth_operator about the Glocks lack of accuracy. It is the gun I carry on duty and have won various limited pistol matches with. I believe it is the absolute equal to the Beretta in terms of accuracy, however the Glock wins hands down when it comes to accuracy. Typical range use will break the Beretta's locking block at approx. 75,000 rounds. I have personally see a glock digest in excess of 500,000 rounds without a hiccup, and that is a conservative estimate from a range rental gun that was not cleaned regularly. The Glock holds more in the magazine and is virtually indestructable.As far as your decision to sell your Beretta to buy the Glock, that is a mistake. Unless you are totally strapped for cash, keep the Beretta in your collection. You WILL shoot it and it is a nice component of any pistol collection. You will appreciate the variety if you go to the range regularly. Save your money and buy the Glock but not at the expense of your 92. You can use your gf's if you want to shoot a 17 that bad.
  • At_The_GatesAt_The_Gates Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damned!!Thanks to all of you for been so honest and take time to solve my dilema. I will take the advise seriously and i will keep my Berreta and get myself a Glock 17.Thanks again for the wisdom you guys have shared with me.BTW any of you who have a Glock 17 under at a considerable price e-mail me at 9mmfreak@msn.com. Im looking for the one with the rail and the finger grooves. Im very serious in my inquire.Thanks again!
  • smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hensel, My apologies to everyone if my post seemed to be somewhat biased towards the Beretta. In previous tests comparing several firearms the Beretta outshot almost everyone including Glock & HK in the field of accuracy by at least .25". Now, in the real world this would not amount to anything. Glocks are very reliable firearms and as far as the plagues for the Beretta, you are absolutely correct about the locking block failure at about 75-100K rds. BUT, a regular person who goes to the shooting range every so often will not log in as much rounds as you or some of us do. Besides, at about 30-50K rds your barrel wears out depending on ammunition. This and the locking block problem would be considered normal wear and tear at that point. As I was saying before, these were just "accuracy tests" and does not necessarily apply in real time scenarios...unless you guys carry a pistol rest with you on duty.At the gates, You know, begging usually works if you really want to shoot that Glock. If all else fails, wash the dishes and go from there. At least this way, you get to keep both.-smooth