In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vacuum Packing Ammo?

The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Is it safe to vacuum pack ammo. I have one of those food sealers, and have thought about vacuum packing the extra rounds I carry in my pack. But when you pack marshmallows, they expand to about 5 times their original size. I wondered if anyone knows about ammo? I thought I saw some .223 ammo at a gun show packed, but wanted to ask before I did it. Thanks

Comments

• hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seems to me i have seen military ammo in green, vacuum paked plastic. i dont see where it would hurt anything.
  • farrangerfarranger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It won't hurt it to vacuum pack, the only reason I could see for doing this though is water proofing, which can be done with zip locks, but the vacuum pack might be tougher depending on the plastic.
    freedom isn't free
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Cases withstand the immense pressure of the explosion when fired so I don't see how reducing the outside pressure could hurt it.
  • chemengchemeng Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vacuum pack it with a dessicant sleeve and the ammo will probably outlast a couple of lifetimes, no moisture or oxidizers to break the powder/casing down.Mike
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can pack the ammo/guns in a place of low humidity such as a heated building,throw some desiccant in the bags and squeeze the excess air out you should be good. Vacuum packing may cause the plastic to adhere to the metal and be a hassle to peel off if you need the materiel in a hurry.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    To keep the plastic from touching the cases, put the ammo in a cloth bag like a pillow case, then vacum pack them.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!