In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

springfield M1A loaded vs national match

timltiml Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am want a "loaded, national match, and/or super match". I will not be going to competitions etc., but want a GREAT shooter. While I think the super match should be better than the loaded, From your experience, is there that MUCH DIFFERENCE between them regarding accuracy? The fiberglass is a better stock isn't it?

Comments

• timltiml Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What features differentiate the national match model from the loaded model?
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a National Match and bed it.It will outshoot youcpermdedThe GI fiberglass is not a good choice over the wood for bedding or accuracy.Walnut is pretty and warm.McMillan for accuracy.[This message has been edited by cpermd (edited 09-15-2001).]
  • timltiml Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about stainless vs carbon barrels for accuracy?
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The accuracy is the same.The chambers in the SS barrels have been rough the last year and several have been returned.They have been fixed well by the factory when returned.cpermd
  • gunman100gunman100 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a loaded M1A earlier this year with the carbon barrel and walnut stock. At 100 yards will put them in and around the bull all day long. Seems to like 168gr. Fed. Gold ammo the best, but is quite accurate with a variety of .308 ammo. (I am quite sure the rifle is capable of shooting better than I )Like you, I am not shooting competition, but enjoy informal afternoons at the rifle range with my M1A. As far as being a good shooter, I don't think you can beat it, and don't know if the extra money for a National Match version is worth the extra money. I love shooting mine, and never fails to function perfectly.