In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 673

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Has Remington dropped the Model 673? I was looking at one of their catalogs the other day and there was no Model 673.

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have anything to say about the 673, in any caliber?
    edited November -1
    Read the other topic about the Remington Model 600 Rifle and it got me thinking about my 600 & 673. I had a 600 in .243 Winchester that I bought from my uncle. I really liked the 673(used to have one in .350 RemMag a while back) and found one chambered in .243 Winchester. I thought that would be pretty neat to have the original 600 and the late 673 in the same caliber.

Now the question. Were there not very many 673's chambered in the .243 Winchester? I don't think I have seen any on the auction side and when I go under model history on Remington's website and click on "673", it doesn't list the .243. Anybody have any insight or information on that?

Jon
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a Remington 673 in 350 Rem Mag. Spur of the moment buy, I have an Encore pistol in 350 Rem Mag and like the caliber, the gun store tossed in about 300 empty cases for reloading. The rifle is old stock NIB.

Am I correct that the 673 is essentially a Remington Model 7? I need a two piece turn in scope mount base and presume anything for the 7 or 700 SA will fit?

The firing pin assembly uses Remington's "J Lock" and I want to replace it - do I replace it with a Remington 700 short action?

I'm not in love with the stock. If I want to replace it I'm again assuming a Rem 7 or 700 short action works?
    edited November -1
    I have a 673 308 caliber. When I tried to sight it in at a 100 yards I could not get a group less than 2 inches. I was instructed by a member that knows what he is talking about to remove the rib, check the bolt, bed the rifle and cryo the barrel. I did everything I was told to do. It still has a 2 inch group at 100 yards and has a 6 inch group at 200 yards. We fired the rifle locked in a vise and securely tied to a bench, the rifle was NIB when I purchased it. Anyone got an idea what is wrong, the rifling appears to be good.
    edited November -1
    I know this model didn't last very long. Anyone have an opinion on it?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon0322,

The M673 was released in the .308 Win. so it's not a stretch for us to believe that they also did some in the .243 Win.

This is not definitive proof by any means but it is another reference to what may be the answer:

"Remington 673 .243 Win caliber rifle. Guide rifle in rare non-catalog .243 caliber. Has laminated stock and 22" Vent rib barrel. In excellent condition."

This website is notorious for the overuse of the terms 'rare' and 'limited production' in an attempt to justify inflated prices. However, in this situation, it might be more correct. I cannot corroborate their statement.

Best.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Green will run special large quantity orders for distributors, and there might be one of those deals with your 243...

At any rate, you do have something that not everyone has, but as to collectability...it is supply and demand, the demand part being prominant.

Best
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Remington 673 in 243 Win. caliber from Whitaker Firearms a few years ago. It is not a catalog item.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I am not really worried about the value, shooting and using it just like the rest of my rifles. Just curious as to if anyone had any more info. on them. Great shooter too!

Jon
  • dueckerduecker Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please read the Posting Guidelines using the link located at the top of every page under the Gunbroker logo.

Offers to buy, sell or trade are not allowed on the Gunbroker Forums.

Best.
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I know, Remington made a run of 500 673's in 243. Back in 2004, I ran across one here on Gunbroker, and the guy was from New York. Said he had bought 20 of them. He had it priced at about $625 if I remember right. Anyway, if I would've known then what I know now, I would've bought one. if you see one now, it will open up at $1000+, and go from there. Hind Sight is always so 20/20.