In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning FN MK1 Inglis 9mm

scpaisleyscpaisley Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm wondering how much this might go for? From everything I can tell its from right around 1944. I could not find the serial number in the blue book. Heres a Pic of it. All 3 SN's match on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't see your photo?
  • scpaisleyscpaisley Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry forgot the photo.

wtd6xd.jpg
    edited November -1
    Flip side of her.
    24pjt04.jpg
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Interesting serial number This would increase it's value however because of lack of almost all of the original finish this would reduce the value. . I would think it may prove to be a Proto type. I would NOT do anything except oil it . I used to deal with a MODEL 1935 collector in Castorville Ca. But I think he died years ago.

EDIT [:(][:(][:(][:(]BOO HISS [:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]
    might be just me but to ask about a firearm and then alter the pictures without stating that in your original question can lead to false information /opinion. NO ONE has tried to file a stolen firearm report from a picture shown on the internet. [V][V][V]

Edit #2 sorry if I came off a little rude. But think of it as a oil painting that someone asked the price value but photo shopped a repair and did not mention the fact that it was damaged or. put a signature of a famous painter on a reproduction. Value by pictures on collectible firearms is in the smallest details "serial numbers" is one of the most important factor If you had a Colt 1911 serial C121345 and you photo shopped the serial number to read C1 the C1 would be worth 100 times the price of C121345 I hope you see my point Sorry I am not a mean person. [:I]. the finish was almost a dull black finish I for one would not try to refinish this will not add to the value and IMHO reduce the value if you intend to sell the pistol. If you want to keep it then do what ever you want to it to make you have a gun that is easier to keep from rusting
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe there may be four digits missing after 4CH____.
    This is a Chinese contract Inglis.
    edited November -1
    I figured it was Chinese contract Inglis, the Chinese contract Inglis in the blue book says the SN starts with 5CHXXXX, I couldn't find any with 4CHXXXX. I did remove the last 4 of the SN by smudging it out in the photo. I'm wondering what the value might be for this, I'm guessing it is pre '44 since the 5CH SN run began in '44.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I believe there may be four digits missing after 4CH____.
    This is a Chinese contract Inglis.

As above,,,I was just looking at one of those Sunday. Interesting pieces of history...seems to be a dying breed though (people who care about history)...nambu
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Interesting serial number This would increase it's value however because of lack of almost all of the original finish this would reduce the value. . I would think it may prove to be a Proto type. I would NOT do anything except oil it . I used to deal with a MODEL 1935 collector in Castorville Ca. But I think he died years ago.

EDIT [:(][:(][:(][:(]BOO HISS [:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]
    might be just me but to ask about a firearm and then alter the pictures without stating that in your original question can lead to false information /opinion. NO ONE has tried to file a stolen firearm report from a picture shown on the internet. [V][V][V]

Agree Mr. Shooter, I think no less of any of your opinions for it[:o)][:)]....nambu
    edited November -1
    Seriously? Can you all not see I've had less than 10 posts on here so I'm not exactly a professional on this site. I've always been told to alter the or remove part of the SN for a gun when posting a pic online. Thats how I do things.

I would like to know what the value of this pistol might be. Grandpa wants to sell it but I don't have any idea what to sell it for. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Value,,,well I will try...300-450.....lets see what others might think..nambu

condition as you know hurts this one.
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some folks get real touchy on this site, don't blame them with all the bs been going on lately on the gen/dis side, the possible worth of this h/p is imho , anywhere from 200 to 400 due to lack of finish and metal cond etc. would be 600 and up if in better cond. take care, Bob [:)]
    edited November -1
    They didn't actually do a bluing on these pistols, I can't remember what it was exactly, I think it was an applied finish they did but I do remember it wasn't bluing. I thought the same thing when I first handled it, that the bluing was all worn off and that it would decrease the value. Not certain that helps with the value much though.
    edited November -1
    Parkerized finish is what I'm finding for this.
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black enamel paint.
  • dogtown tomdogtown tom Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scpaisley
    They didn't actually do a bluing on these pistols, I can't remember what it was exactly, I think it was an applied finish they did but I do remember it wasn't bluing. I thought the same thing when I first handled it, that the bluing was all worn off and that it would decrease the value. Not certain that helps with the value much though.

The original finish on a Canadian Inglis Hi Power is parkerized. the serial number was etched after the gun was parked, so it appears "in the white".

Pristine, mint condition Inglis HP's will have a maple leaf decal on the front of the grip strap. It will have "Canada" in English, Cyrillic (Russian) and Chinese- the three languages of countries receiving Lend-Lease supplies in WWII.

A number of the Inglis HP's went to Great Britian, where they are still issued. (there is a photo of Prince Harry floating around with a Inglis HP on his vest)

When GB needed to repair or refinish the Inglis HP they used a black paint coating called Suncorite.

No Inglis HP's were produced in a blued, nickel or lime green finish- only parkerized.

Here is a good thread at Gunbaords with pics of the decal:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=29783&page=2