In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remington 788 re-chamber to .223

diggs308diggs308 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
is it possible to re-chamber a rem. 788 in .222 cal. to .223 and would it be cost effective?

Comments

• Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    This can be done very easily. Cost effective?? Depends what you mean by that. I have done this re-chamber for several of my friend's rifles because he wanted to shoot cheap military type ammo. I believe that I "ruined" a perfectly good Anschutz just so he could shoot the cheap ammo.
    Cost, I charged my buddy $35.00 for this particular re-chamber.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple job. Will work fine, just be aware that the 222 bbl may be a 1-14" twist which might limit you to lighter bullet weights. Military type ammo probably wouldn't shoot well in it if it's that twist if that's what your looking for(and technically you shouldn't shoot 5.56 Nato ammo in that chamber anyway, especially in a bolt action).
    Bolt face is the same, magazine will work ( a 223 is basicly a longer 222).
    As far as cost goes, it's just a matter of a reamer job. Get a cost from a local gunsmith and then you'll know.
    Good Luck...[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, i have a savage 340 in .222 got the 788 in a trade and thought i would like to have something in .223, been reading for a while,thought i would start posting.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    CAN YOU DO THIS?... YES, SHOULD YOU DO THIS...NO. THE COST OF GOOD AMMO FOR EACH CAL. IS ALMOST THE SAME. LIKE THE OTHERS SAID, THE CHEAP (MILITARY) AMMO WILL NOT SHOOT AS WELL. IF YOU WANT A .223 RECHAMBER THE 340, THE 788 IS A MUCH BETTER RIFLE (AND WORTH MORE AS IS).
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank God somebody got around to making that statement! I've been holding off saying anything but I really have to agree with Mike. Don't change the Rem. 788, change the 340 if you have to have a .223 to shoot.

Best.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Mike W. & Nononsense on this.
    Had you mentioned having the 340 when I posted I would have said the same thing..[:0].
    Good Luck........................................................
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I also have to agree with nononsense and mike.
    The 788 is worth way more as is than the 340 will ever be even on a good day.....
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re chamber the 340 not the 788,I'm in total agreement with the others that gave this advice.[:)]
  • Options
    6mmbrppc6mmbrppc Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont know ive owned both the 340 and the 788 in both 222 and they both were awsom rifles with good crowns on them
    dont change either have the $ spent on the rechamber done on the crowns and bedding and triggers and if your wanting to save some $ on the shooting of 223 over the 222 reload im not sure why rechambering to something else is better i could see if you have some throat wear but why would you get rid of a 222 when it will woop a 223 butt anyday
    the best thing to do i see would trade either one for a 223 the 222 is a far more superior round than the 223
    done rechamber just reload them
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the input, the more i look at how nice the 788 is i hate to change it. the 340 was my father's and i would never change it.
    cheap ammo to shoot is why i want something in .223 i like to shoot and i don't want to shoot up my 7.63x39 cheap .223 is still plentiful
    aroud here.