In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

17 HM2 sound level

reloader-51reloader-51 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hi,
Could someone give me an accurate comparison of sound level of the 17 HM2 as compared to a subsonic 22LR. Numbers in dB would be great, but would appreciate any good comparison.

Thanks,
reloader-51

Comments

• Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO if each cartridge was fired from identical bolt action rifles, the .17HM2 would be louder than a subsonic .22. Maybe because the .17HM2 is supersonic and the .22 LR would not be. Out of a revolver, I can't tell much difference in the noise level between a high velocity .22 and a subsonic .22. Sorry, I don't have real measurable scientific answers for you.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Tried last weekend with my 22mag rifle, can't really tell a difference between that and a 22lr rifle... I'd assume the 17 mag would be similar...
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 17M2 Is going to have more sound to it, as the name implies Mach 2, or 2 times the speed of sound. It is breaking the sound barrier by 2 times of what it takes to do that. If fired from a rifle, it will be a little louder than the 22LR...unless you are using sub sonic ammo in the 22LR. If that is the case it will be a lot louder.