In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Romanian SAR AK-47 rifles and others... opinions ?

hkloverhklover Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Was wondering the quality of these rifles.. should I drop a few bills and grab a .223 and a 7.62 version of each, or should I just save and buy a polytech or norinco AK ? I would like to purchase a couple of AK47's to round out my collection. I was really hoping to pick up a polytech underfolder 7.62 and a chinese ak-74 .223 but haven't had much luck lately finding a good deal.Thanks guys!

Comments

• ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran into a bad one (warped gas piston rod) on my first purchase, and the one I exchanged it for has a slightly off angle front sight, with a clear weld point where it was fixed. I kept it as my registration paperwork already went in for it, inspite of the off angle front sight. 2 cases of dissapointing quality. A friend of mine brought one that was without flaws however, and most people here really seem to like them.Mine's fun to shoot, and you can't beat the price. Despite my experiences, I'd say they're a good purchase. Have heard some people say the mags for the .223 model sometimes don't feed the last round.
  • SP TigerSP Tiger Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Romanian SAR-1 and I think it is great, as I've stated before, it's not built like an M1A, but I doubt it will ever wear out. The Poly-Tech's are nice, but they are really expensive. I'd buy a couple of Romanians because I don't think they are allowed to be imported anymore.In 1988, my best friend bought a new Poly-Tech AK for $330 with all the accessories: sling, oiler, bayonet, and thirty-round mags. He sold it a couple of years later to a guy we worked for. In 1992, the same guy offered it and 1,000 rounds of ammo to me for $400. I was in college at the time and didn't have the money. Sigh. Oh well!
    Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Sar-1 and i love it to death....all my other rifles are feeling neglected because of her....however....if you have the money to go buy a Sar-1 and a Sar-3 then i guess i would save up and get a poly or a norinco in 7.62......they are much prettier and better built i think. not to say that mine wont outlast my great grandchildren though. If i had the cash id be looing for an underfolder with full-auto selector, if you can find one. my 2cents.
  • jay bluejay blue Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just received my AK 47 SAR-1, 7.62x39-from Atlantic. It was just as advertised NIB and now I'm about finished fine tuning it and the clips. The receiver is what appears to me,stamped metal. It took two sheets of 320 grit wet/dry sand paper to get all the sharp edges eliminated. The real work went into the 3 30rd clips. I had to file down the thickness of the clip retention spur located on the rear of the clip so it would seat and release with a minimun of pressure on the clip release.The clips work like magic with this bit of alteration.The front sight post appears to be tightened so tight that trying to loosen it bends the sight tool.The trigger has a typical military rifle play of about 1/4 inch and was mighty rough but some 6oo grit polishing on the sear and hammer improved things a lot-it still has the travel but is a lot smoother. I'm very satisfied with it and will likely buy another at a gun show in near future. BTW Atlantic is a fine company to deal with.
  • 110110 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a SAR 3 (.223) model a couple off weeks ago. It shoots great and accuracy is better than I thought it would be. The shop I bought mine from gave me a 5.45x39mm 30rnd mag and it functions flawlessly. I have ran approx. 180rnds thought it and have yet to run into any feeding problems, or stoppages.I also have an AK in 7.62. I prefer the SAR 3 for the range because of the ease of shooting. Very little recoil, and is more accrate, in my opinion, than the 7.62 model. The choice of caliber is one of preference to the shooter. If I were you I would consider the SAR 2 (AK-74, in 5.45x39). Ammo is a little harder to find, but makes a great collection piece. As said before, the quality of these guns varies so I would go to a shop and inspect one before you buy one. Good Luck!
  • PhilPhil Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a SAR 3 recently.It's no Remington,but it's reasonably well-made(considering the source)and fun to shoot.
  • smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY! Ive got a MAADI! so just how bad can whatever you guys have be compared to mine? Considering I have the bottom of the biggest barrel as far as assault weapons are concerned, it functions pretty well. You can imagine the horror in my eyes when I opened the action and saw the internal parts for the first time... LAst week, I dropped it in the sand, and was filled and left dirty on purpose...shot 240rds with no malfunction whatsoever. I'm happy with my POS! havent seen an AR do tht just yet.-Smooth
  • 110110 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is Remington a good contrast between a SAR3?