In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

wheeler eng gun blue VS: blue wonder

spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have used the wheeler engineering cold blue with good results,,,but have heard the blue wonder is much better,,,anyone have any feedback or tips on the blue wonder from midway ??
Thanks for your input !!
JIM

Comments

• Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use any one of the Brownwll's gun blues, 44-40, Oxpho-blue, etc. IMHO they are the best on the market.

Good luck
  • Options
    sherpasherpa Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bad experiance with blue wonder on 870 wingmaster reciever. i got my $ back. better results with uncle mikes from wal mart. don't waste your $ or your time.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    used blue wonder...it is alot of work and I have not gotten the results advertized. It does not hold up, blend well or cover uniformly. also over a period of time it discolors.
    I thought it would be great and I followed directions to the letter.
    I got a browning shotgun from a friend who wanted me to try it. when I spent the time, polished the metal perfectly and cleaned it as described the blue went on very well and the gun looked great. Sadly it started coming off immediatly. everytime he wipes the gun down it loses more of the color and the luster was gone after the first time he used it.
    There are still no shortcuts I have found that last at all. I have gone back to brownels for black (dicopan) and birchwood casey for blue. If it's a gun for my collection, (or anything collectable) I buy the best I can afford and leave them alone.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I guess I am the Lone Voice In The Wilderness But I have had Great Results with Blue Wonder. I had a Rifle that IS/Was a wall hanger no pits but almost looked to be "IN THE WHITE" I used Blue wonder and it now looks better then I ever thought it would . However it is sort of a Matt finish .On another pistol with High polish finish with a scratch and surface blemish it did not match at all . I would say on a black matt finish finish like most military rifles it was the best stuff I ever used and it did not leave that TELL TALE smell of cold Blue. I should have taken before and after pictures of the rifle . I did that job and gave it to a friend it was his rifle and he has not used the gun but it was about 8 years ago and still looks just as good as the day I used the Blue wonder . I did follow instructions and it is put on differently then any other cold blue you do NOT rub and you do heat almost too hot to touch and you do NOT oil for first 24 hours. IT takes Time to develope.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Blue Wonder on some Mauser trigger guards that I had sandblasted and they came out pretty good. They were absolutely bare, clean metal. I haven't noticed flaking or discoloration on the one I've been using on my 220 Swift.