In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

To Cobra700 (Long range rifle, Cont.)

givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
You don't have an E-mail address. So I'm starting a new posting.

Go to fulton-armory.com

They are making competition grade AR's. Pick one from their website.
They are tweaking these AR's by excellent in-house armourers.
They are the only supplier (that I know of) that indicates sub MOA as a guarantee right on their website.
They are expensive.

I posted this because you seem to be leaning towards the AR platform, and would prefer one-stop-shopping. Check them out. Joe

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    givette,

Thanks for re-posting this topic. No way to get this subject done in under ten posts.

Cobra700,

I bought an AR15A2 here on GB through AR Outdoor Supply for $705.(w/match barrel) It has shot great. Get one with a flattop and 1-7" twist and you can power the 75's-80's down range to 1k. ...and anything in between.
    If you want to go heavier and stay in an AR then I would look at getting someone to put a 7mm-08 barrel on the AR-10 and then you have a really ballistically efficient round. There is also the 6.5 Grendel. They start pretty slow, but overtake a .308/7.62 at 600 yds. Most 6.5 Grendel's I've seen are over your $1k mark.

The reason I suggest a bolt gun to start with is that they are less expensive and I don't care what some people say they are more accurate overall. They provide accurate enough shooting and an action left over in case you continue to pursue this venture. An off the rack Savage will run you $500-800 A custom rifle built on a good action will generally run you over a grand. These are just a couple more thoughts for you in your wanting a long range rifle.

EDIT:

quote: quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior

givette,

Thanks for re-posting this topic. No way to get this subject done in under ten posts.

posted by feenix

Try using the edit reply option and just keep adding info off your original posting. This might work provided there's 10 or less respondents. Good luck!

For instance:

Added info #1 blah, blah, blah

Added info #2 blah, blah, blah ... and so on.

Good idea, except when I came back to it the topic was already locked. There is usually a lot of good input to these questions and ten posters isn't really, in my opinion, enough to narrow it down to what a shooter may be steering for. Or, answers he may get that he doesn't want to hear. And, sometimes when a poster uses the edit, a newer member here won't know to look for it as an edit on an earlier post. Also, for instance in this case, I noted the absence of a couple really knowledgeable posters. I'm always glad to hear some high quality opinions.

So without further ado, how about some feedback on your part to our new member on what you may think on a long range rifle.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a thousand yard rifle, a woods hunting rifle, and a "tactickle" rifle are going to be awful hard to wrap into one package.
    I saw a guy shooting one of the AR10 derivatives at 1000 recently and he didn't do too badly, and he looked husky enough to hump it into the woods. But it cost more than $1000. A good deal more.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    givette,

Try using the edit reply option and just keep adding info off your original posting. This might work provided there's 10 or less respondents. Good luck!

For instance:

Added info #1 blah, blah, blah

Added info #2 blah, blah, blah ... and so on.
  • COBRA700COBRA700 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. sorry was busy working this last week. looks like I'm gonna just hold off for a bit and I'm gonna have to make up my mind on a long range rifle or tact. Just can't wrap it up all in one no matter how nice it would be! Think im gonna grab another handgun for now.....Will post new topic for your guys help. I'm glad I signed up to these forums. you guys and gals are VERY helpful. THANK YOU for your time.