In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Inexpensive 357 Revolver

Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in Ask the Experts
I would like to have a 357 around the house for home defense. Don't need an expensive one. What is a reliable 357 to have?

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • IsurelkegnsIsurelkegns Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Taurus that was cheap and pretty good but I got a used Smith & Wesson model 66 for about the same money.I gave $350.00 for my Smith used and I paid around $279.00 for the Taurus new in the box.The Taurus wouldnt do you wrong.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto to what they said!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • AZgunownerAZgunowner Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either a good used S&W 66, 686, or a Ruger SP101. There are a lot of the Smiths out there used, as they were carry guns for a lot of Law Enforcement. The Ruger is just a good quality for the money gun. The Ruger Security Six, if you can find a used one would be good too.

Some of the 66's and 686's that have been traded in from LE, can be had for $200-300. A lot of them were carried a lot, and shot a little, only for practice and qualifications. Some of my LE friends actually were able to buy their old duty weapon for 125.00. I slicked up a lot of the actions for the local county sherriff department's old 686's.
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using for home defense only than Taurus is ok. However if you are going to use it on the range than a Smith 686 is tops. At combat range this thing is deadly. Of course the 686 isn't the cheapest thing around. But worth every penny.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put a price tag on your life and that of your family, then buy the BEST item that you can afford.

I have met a few JUNK 357 Tauras' in my time. They are usually the cheapest. The worst that I've seen came with fixed sights and locked up after 3 rounds. None of my Revolver Smiths would touch it. Very few if any Gun Smiths work on Tauras products, MANY work on Smith & Wessons - that should tell you something (and not that Smiths NEED work and Tauras' don't).
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    IMO, Ruger sounds like your gun. Quality at a generally cheap price than S&W. You can probably get a nice used one for around $250.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    high standard mk3. under 200.00. built by dan wesson for hi standard. best deal in town for an old 357 gun.
    bedsidegun.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    A Ruger Security Six can usually be found for around three bills. They're reliable, accurate and built like a tank.