In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SKS ammo?

GunsGuitarsGunsGuitars Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited September 2007 in Ask the Experts
Will a SKS fire a .308 round safely and effectively ?

Comments

• claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO! They are designed to shoot 7.62x39 ONLY.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .308 is MUCH to powerful, It is also too long to chamber, and the bullet is too small (.308 vs .311) Not even close.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    A SKS won't even chamber a .308 as the round is 12mm to long.

SKS =7.62x39mm
    308 =7.62x51mm

Like the others have said the SKS rounds are .311 diameter and not .308.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF your referring to the 'nam era story about the NVA/VC using found US ammo in their weapons, the 308Win/7.62NATO ammo can be "modified" to fire in a 7.62x54R chamber (the Nagant type rifles) by wrapping some string around the base of the US ammo. It's a single shot proposition, as the string is used to both center the round in the chamber AND to extract the spent case manually.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you ask?????
  • fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    To get an answer of course. Or maybe he didn't know. Or maybe he didn't have anything better to do. I could go on but I think I might have something better to do.[;)]
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Why would you ask?????

I've had ret. 'nam era marines tell me the same thing, so he's probably trying to get a real answer to what someone told him "they heard".
  • GunsGuitarsGunsGuitars Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always have heard that the the SKS round is very similar to the 308. I can see that it is but not similar enough to share a chamber by the one post by Nwcid.

SKS=7.62x39mm
    308=7.62x51mm

They are the same in one way but not in all ways. The replies have cleared this up. I have been told told this by some of the guys in my shooting club and they don't use 308 rounds in their 7.62x39s. So I needed a real answer from someone that knew some facts.

Thanks Guys
    Jay