In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

C&R license

mjalmsmjalms Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in Ask the Experts
Once you apply for a C&R license, how long does it take to get one.

Comments

• mjalmsmjalms Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am trying to get my C&R license updated to my new address. The form the ATF sent to amend my license is the same one for a regular FFL. What do I do about all of the questions about zoning ordinances and "business to be conducted"? It also has places for signatures under these questions. None of this is relevant for a type 03 Collector of Curio and Relic license. What am I supposed to do? If I answer yes or no to these questions it appears as if I am "engaging in business" as the ATF defines it. Someone please help before I just rip up the forms and say to heck with it.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
    edited November -1
    I have a C&R License from the ATF and I find it so hard sometimes to get an FFL dealer to give me the time of day[V]. Twice now I've located Beretta 418 pistols for sale. Both were manufactured more than 50 years ago and even though not listed by name, fall under the ATF description of any firearm manufactured 50 years before this current date are C&R qualified, yet the sellers treat my C&R License as if it's the kiss of death[xx(]. I just don't understand it, isn't my American dollars just as good as the next guys[?] I sure don't want to get them or myself into trouble with the ATF, but after reading the do's and don'ts of owning a C&R License, I know I'm right on this one[:D]. Now if I can just get the Dealers to recognize this[;)].
    edited November -1
    Anyone know how long it takes to get a c&r license?

Larry
    edited November -1
    Nothing major here...just thought I'd let folks that are considering getting a C&R license know that it's well worth the little bit of effort required. I filled out the two copies (quick & easy), mailed one to the Sherriff's Office and the other to the BATF on 10/6, with check for $30.00. The license came today (11/4). I am amazed at how quickly it got here. I had heard that you get sick of waiting, and about to the point of giving up before it comes. Not at all- they say four to six weeks, and they ain't lying!
    edited November -1
    Many of the firearms available on gunbroker.com meet the 'curio and relic' status and can be purchased by someone with the 'curio and relic license', and be shipped directly to that person, rather than going through an FFL dealer.

Is getting a C&R license worth the effort? It costs $30 for 3 years, (and I've had to pay a local FFL holder $25 for just 1 gun). That obviously tells me that it is a good investment money wise, but are there possible problems that I'd be setting myself up for? Are there paperwork hassles, bureaucratic bothers, or other harrassments that go along with it, or is it relatively painless to have and use the C&R license?

Current C&R holders please reply. I welcome your stories, good and bad, and any other input.

Thanks,
    Rareblair

IF IT AIN'T DONE RIGHT, IT AIN'T DONE YET!!!
    edited November -1
    How do you get a C&R license(permit?)
    edited November -1
    As marsye [4/8/02 11:51 am], I too applied for a C&R license. I mailed and included check. Anyone have an idea timing on the part of the BAFT? Do they sit on the application for weeks or cash the check and issue the license?
    edited November -1
    how do i get a c&r license
    edited November -1
    I am thinking about getting a c&r lincense,what guns and how old fall under this lincense?
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have one of these licenses, and if so - can you save money when buying ammo, reloading materials, etc from the internet dealers. Is this a good option?

Rickster
    edited November -1
    can an individual ship an action from a 97 winchester to a person with a c&r license?
    edited November -1
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. The C&R firearms license is for personal collections and CANNOT be used like an FFL. I was thinking of getting one because I'm tired of paying the $25/$30 dollars every time I get a firearm. Please help me understand the pros and cons.. THANKS so much... Mike
    edited November -1
    Are the c&r license worth the cost and time to get if one just buys or trades a old gun 4-5 times a year? Also how often do you have to renew them? Thanks
  • WillRussWillRuss Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's everything you ever wanted to know about the 03 FFL "C&R" license: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

It allows to you purchase C&R eligible firearms via mailorder for your collection. (Firearms on the BATF C&R list are usually 50+ years old and/or made in a country which no longer exists.) You can't use it to go into the gun selling business.

I use mine to collect military surplus rifles and my $30 investment in the license has probably saved me close to $1,000 in transfer fees over the past few years. I also get a good discount at Brownells and MidwayUSA.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The chief distinction is that a C&R license allows you to acquire C&R firearms directly, without having to go through a dealer, from anywhere in the country. Where a C&R differs from an FFL is that it cannot be used to buy & sell guns with the intention of earning a profit.

You will still need the services of a local dealer for guns that are not C&R.

Details can be found on the ATF website.

The biggest CON is that you may find yourself tempted to buy too many guns, because it will become easier & cheaper.

Neal
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm Neal, I better not share that with my wife, she feels I have too many as it is. Thanks for the help
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjalms
    Hmmmm Neal, I better not share that with my wife, she feels I have too many as it is. Thanks for the help

Well, it's customary for new members to give away one of their guns here in the forum. We asked your wife and she said it was fine with her. [:D]
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had my C&R for several years now and collect military guns as well.... lots of fun.

There are also many guns on the C&R list that are not over 50 yrs old, but still qualify. When you get a lic they will also send you a copy of the current C&R list.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    State & City of residence has a great affect on a C & R ( 03 ) licensee.
    Keep in mind, if unfortunately your a resident of commiefornia or a similar left-wing liberal area, your limited in what type of firearms you can directly acquire.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...What everbody has already said and...you are allowed to disspose of you C & R's to "enhance" your collection or whatever, so yes you can dump some for profit now and then. To acquire C & R's and regularly sell them, you will be watching the grass grow from the inside of a Federal Facility...[;)]

...Im the only sum-bit*h I know that ever had an ATF audit because of my C & R!!! So yes it can happen. ATF is SUSPOSED to give you 24 hr notice of this and the choice of bringing your bound book to their nearest office or them comming to you. If the friendly goons show up unannounced, you do not have to let them in...and NEVER let them remove a gun or ANY paperwork w/o a search warrant PERIOD...[^]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good info. The 03 C&R IS a FFL- it is a COLLECTOR'S FFL, not a dealer's (an 01 FFL) Most fun you can have for $30 and stay sober. Does no good for modern arms, but your license fee is recouped the first time you do not have to pay a dealer to handle a transfer. SOME sellers do not know what an 03 C&R FFL is, and will not accept it. Pass on them- you did not want to be doing business with them, anyway. [:p]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only slightly more than zero interest in Mil-surp stuff, but I can buy Colt Woodsman with my C&R without a transfer FFL. That has saved me more than than the the $60 I spent on license and renewal, so even if I never buy another, I am ahead.