In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RCBS/Hornady dies

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm a Lee die guy (got the Lee kit) but I may have to buy some RCBS and Hornady dies due to Lee customer service's incompetence. I'm looking at a full length resizer for my 7.5XSwiss from RCBS and a neck sizer (the New Dimension series) for my 6.5 Swede from Hornady.

My question is: are they any good/worth the money? I have some old RCBS dies that work well, but they are at least 30 years old, maybe more. Is their new stuff just as good? I've never used Hornady's stuff, so I have no idea of its quality/value. Hornday says this particular die can be used on 6.5 Swede, Carcano, 260 Remington, and some others I think. Is it worth it or should I get a die specific to the 6.5X55 Swede rather than a "general purpose" 6.5 neck sizer?

Comments

• ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO the gold standard for reloading dies are Redding and RCBS. I own both in quantity. I judge that a set of dies has to be able to form brass and load the bullets to very straight tolerences measured by the runout. Runout is measured with a dial indicator spring loaded type mircometer calibrated in 0.001" and is what the loaded bullet tip does when rotated under the dial indicator. I tried Lee dies at one time and found that they were very particular. Some bullets loaded well others didn't, runoutwise. I have since disposed of the Lee dies I tried. Recently I have bought a couple sets of Hornady's dies and have been happy with them, so far.

As to your question about neck sizing the brass, well it is all about the neck and you are not suposed to size down any farther so the rest of the die isn't suposed to touch the lower parts of the case. And I supose that as long as the assortment of cases to be neck sized about the same length then it should do ok. Personally I buy neck sizing dies that are cartridge specific and leave it at that.

Have fun with it, reloading can be precise as you want to make it....
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I'd get the standard dies, specific to your round. Adjust so you're sizing all but the last 1/10 to 1/16" of the neck, and then when the times that you need to full length size just lower the die the required amount.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you thing the LEE dies are good, then you will be flattened by the RCBS or Hornady, and God forbid if you get into the Redding, or Forester name brands. Lee is the bottom of the pile.

Yes, you can use that neck sizer die for most all 6.5mm diameterbullets, and there some neck dies in the 7mm that can do most 7mm casings, same as there is with 30, 338, and many other cal. Some of the upper name brands even have dies that you can change the neck sizing bushing. Those are what a lot of benchrest shooters use.

I would ask this question in the reloading forum. I am sure that you will get some more info there.

Best
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i only have lee dies for odd calibures that i don,t load very many for. due to cost,but for my main line calibures i use rcbs. eastbank.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Just about any die manufacturer's product will get the job done, in terms of the final product I've not seen any difference. I own Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, CH4D, and a few old Herter's sets. Yes, the fit and finish of the RCBS is very good, but no, once it's in the press I don't see any difference in how they work.

If you are reloading for a K-31 I would point you to Redding's die; it is cut specifically for the 31 chamber as opposed to the earlier 1911 pattern chamber. There were some very minimal differences between the two, but if you are going for exactness... just a thought.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have no trouble with RCBS or Hornady, I use both. Grew up on RCBS and lately have been buying Hornady. I like the seater better.

I would second the opinion on get full length cal specific dies and just turn up the die if you don't want to full length resize. I find that I can't neck resize over 2-4 times without a lot of force needed to close the bolt.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    IMHO Redding, cal. specific are gonna be the best "all-around value" if they are available for your rifle.
    Pay once, cry once(they're not cheap) and don't look back[:)]
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I am still using the RCBS dyes that I purchased in 1974. All work as when they were new.
    Now I'm concerned that the LEE dtes I have on order for the .380 & .40 S&W are going to be junk. Guess I should cancel my order and go with yhe more costly RCBS that have served me well.
  • JOELBLACKJOELBLACK Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been reloading for 50 years and have RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Bonanza, CH, CH-4D and Lee dies. All are about equal. The only really bad dies I ever tried were some 1960 vintage Herters.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    I'm a Lee die guy (got the Lee kit) but I may have to buy some RCBS and Hornady dies due to Lee customer service's incompetence. I'm looking at a full length resizer for my 7.5XSwiss from RCBS and a neck sizer (the New Dimension series) for my 6.5 Swede from Hornady.

My question is: are they any good/worth the money? I have some old RCBS dies that work well, but they are at least 30 years old, maybe more. Is their new stuff just as good? I've never used Hornady's stuff, so I have no idea of its quality/value. Hornday says this particular die can be used on 6.5 Swede, Carcano, 260 Remington, and some others I think. Is it worth it or should I get a die specific to the 6.5X55 Swede rather than a "general purpose" 6.5 neck sizer?

Although I don't at all care for their caliber specific die sets, I have to say their "caliber/case length" specific neck sizers are just fantastic. They have a highly polished oblong inside neck sizer that just glides through the case neck. I'd come fairly close to saying you don't even need to lube the case neck it's so slick. I wish all the die manufacturers used that same style same button. I've been reloading for about 35 years and currently load for 40+ calibers. I think it's the best die out there for neck size only.

The only possible down side I could see - and I really don't know if it applies or is needed - is that using a cartridge specific neck only die could be used to set back the case shoulder a bit in the event the shoulder moves forward a bit. I've not run into the problem at all, assuming that next sizing is used for bolt action or single shot guns only I don't see it as an issue.