In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Collection of old rifles

pw1357pw1357 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone help me with the value and maybe a little history on these rifles?

Winchester 30Govt06 (I looked up the serial number and it was manufactured in1928)(2 pics below)
100_1205.jpg

100_1215.jpg

100_1224.jpg

MossBerg Model 144 22 long rifle w/ Mossberg scope. (below)
100_1214.jpg

100_1223.jpg

Ithica 12 gauge (pictured below)
100_1225.jpg

Stevens over / under 22 cal - 4/10 (pictured below)
100_1227.jpg

Here they all are together:
100_1211-1.jpg

I also have a 1943 M-1 Carbine made by General Motors that is in excellent condition. Sorry, but I dont have any pictures of this one.

Any ideas as to age and value?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The first rifle looks like the front receiver ring of factory sporter type rifle this along with the back tang of the action and the part of the bolt between the 2 receiver rings However the safety and bolt handle don't look like winchester and the stock looks like a military one that has had extensive sanding and modified.The shot gun is a nice older model 37 but the Poly choke on the end of barrel will hurt the value . The mossburg is somewhat collectable and the stevens is one of the better early models.
  • pw1357pw1357 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. This is a great website. I think these are really great old guns.

I had a phone conversation with a guy that collects antique military rifles about the 30govt06. His assessment of the rifle was that it was modified / sanded because it was lacking a stamp that is usually on the stock. The M-1 (not pictured) seemed to raise his interest more than the others.

Should I remove the choke from the shotgun?

Any idea as to their value?
  • rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first rifle is a Model 54 Winchester. It was introduced in 1925 (guess which rifle the .270 first appeared in) and was produced until superceded by the Model 70.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your top firearm is a Winchester Model 54 Carbine. The stock is factory original (other than the refinish on it). Originally, it had an oil finished stock. The rest of the gun is also factory original equipment, but may have also been refinished. The Model number is stamped on the left side of the barrel near the rear sight. If you would post pictures of the caliber marking, address stamp, serial number, and the proof marks on the barrel, I can determine if the bluing is factory original.
  • whompusswhompuss Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't remove the poly choke, else you wind up with an open bore.
    The poly choke was a crude invention that served its purpose until invector screw in chokes were made common.
    I saw an otherwise pristine Belgian Browning Sweet Sixteen vent rib that had been poly choked. Value went from $1500 down to $750. You can always find an origional barrel but it won't be serial numbered to the receiver. Plus pristine barrels for collectibles are pricey.
    To get an idea of values I use the online Blue Book subscription ($29.95/yr) and then check sales on GB to get an idea of real world worth.
    Welcome to the forums.
    ps: this is the nice forum, general discussions and politics can get rough at times. Spirited arguments (blood letting) can happen. Recommend you read and follow awhile before you jump in, need to know how deep the water is. [;)]
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester 54 : $900 Mossberg 144 : $150 Ithaca 37 w/ poly : $200 Savage 24 .22/ .410 : $350..... for some reason the BLuebook doesn't like the Savage 24 and for 7 years straight has them at $150 but yours is really nice and here in Illinois a good one like that will easily go for $350.
    edited November -1
    Good replies. Please tell me more.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M1 carbine is about 64 years old; it is worth in the $200-2,000 range.

Neal
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd love the ithaca, I'm one of the ppl who loves poly chokes.
    edited November -1