In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rem in 35 whelan

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
Did rem. ever chamber the 740, 7400, in the 35 Whelan. Has any other mfg. done so. Could an 06 or 270 be rebarreled to the whelan, or mabey a 338-06 without a bunch of other problems? Sounds like a good pig gun, with follow up shoots quickly if needed. THX HAWKSHAW

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 740, 7400, 742, Model FouR series has a hard enough time holding up in their original chamberings. They eat themselves from the inside out, as they are a poor design anyway. If you are wanting a "sporting semi-auto" for pigs, then a Browning BAR in 338 Win Mag is the way to go. There are also the AR-10 platforms in 338 Federal.

I don't personally see, where one needs that much gun for pigs though.

Best
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    The 740, 7400, 742, Model FouR series has a hard enough time holding up in their original chamberings. They eat themselves from the inside out, as they are a poor design anyway. If you are wanting a "sporting semi-auto" for pigs, then a Browning BAR in 338 Win Mag is the way to go. There are also the AR-10 platforms in 338 Federal.

I don't personally see, where one needs that much gun for pigs though.

Best

...or an Ar-15 in .450 Bushmaster if you go that route. [;)] I LOVE mine!

No need for calibers that are moving that fast or have a lot of recoil for hogs. You can either go for a big, slow moving "Thumper" caliber like a .358 Winchester, .44 Mag, .45-70, .450 Marlin, .35 Remington, etc., or go with something small and fast like a .22-250, or .243. IMO, they would serve the purpose much better.

Jon
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem 750 is chambered in 35 Whelen. Not many pigs too big for the 30/06 to handle.
    Not all of the Rem 74(x or xx)series self destruct. LOngevity seems to directly relate to cleaning and lubing since the several I've had lasted fine w/o problems.Just my opinion but some of the wear issues were caused by hauling the rifle around in the back window of a pickup(not a problem by itself) with the bolt open and/or no mag which allowed an inordinate amount of gritty road dust to accumulate in the action. The next step was some rapid fire Rambo activity and then back in the pickup for another dust bath. After a few years of this sequense, the wear became apparent. I've seen dozens of these rifles in the backwindow gunrack upside down with no mag in perfect position to collect the largest amount of gritty limestone dust possible. Couple that with the fact that lots of good ole boys in the South operate that way with the window down year round and you get a pattern.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 750 and the 7600 are or were both chambered for the Whelen the 750 is also made in the carbine version . Now if I were hunting something that could harm me , a Rem. autoloader ain't what I want in my hands , the next shot is always an if with those things . The 7600s work every time ! Or maybe find a 760 in .35 Rem. , They should be good pig medicine out to 100 Yds. anyways .
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawkshaw
    Did rem. ever chamber the 740, 7400, in the 35 Whelan. Has any other mfg. done so. Could an 06 or 270 be rebarreled to the whelan, or mabey a 338-06 without a bunch of other problems? Sounds like a good pig gun, with follow up shoots quickly if needed. THX HAWKSHAW

They now list the 750 in 35 Whelen. They sold the 760 in 35W, but I am not sure if the 740 or 7400 were chambered in 35W.
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 35 whelan's,750 rem.deluxe and funtions great,A nea single shot and a savage 110 Im working on it was a 270 and im swaping a 35 whelan quick change barrel on it. Will be hunting pigs this winter in Ar.tks hedge[:D]
  • my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington did make the 7400 in 35 Whelen. I bought a like new one, in the old Remington green hard case at a gun show. Shoots great.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7600 is chambered in 35 Whelen , the 760 never was !
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just sold a new 750 in .35 Whelen.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 760 in 35WAI. It is all I want it to be. Don