In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 11 Rem.

oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Does any one have disassembly instructions for the mod 11 . It dates to Dec. 46 and it's 16 Ga. with no reb . I checked Steve's pages and found just a parts list and schematic . The bolt is different from the Browning A-5 , I need to strip it down for refinishing ! Thanks ! Mike

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "The bolt is different from the Browning A-5 , I need to strip it down for refinishing ! Thanks ! Mike"..........while parts may not interchange it design and take-down is identical to the Browning a-5. Please note the Rem. m-11 uses a 'buffer' in the back of the receiver that the Browning doesn't, if you reblue the receiver it must be replaced.

"edit:
    Interesting."........it would still have to take down the same way, if you are not 'hot blueing' it you could leave the buffer in place.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike , the A-5 has a notch in the receiver that this 1946 Remington doesn't have . Could I remove that buffer before I refinish the receiver and reinstall it ? I have never had one of these apart before . Lots of little pieces . I'm going to refinish with Teflon-Moly , it's badly pitted and that's the only way I know to fill them . It's a pain in the butt though ! It was the customer's father's gun and he wants to give it to his son for x-mas .
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this the notch yours doesn't have?
    005-1.jpg
    There will be a hole on the other side of the receiver to mate up with it.

On the recoil cushion:
    You Could remove it, but that would involve breaking the rivet. You would then need to have a smith familiar with installing it reinstall it with a new rivet. This involves drilling it from the front of the receiver using a drill guide made to fit the receiver and another guide for setting the rivet.
    I'm not sure if baking at 325 degrees would damage it or not. The cushion is made of a material similar to the old fiber brake shoe lining used on automotive brakes.

edit:
    Interesting. The one of mine I posted dates to March of 1922.
    Does yours have the Remington trade marks on the upper and lower tangs?
    Also, make sure the ser# on the barrel lug matches the ser# on the receiver and then post your date code. This one of mine matches and is coded AN. If yours is early enough it may be a Pre-11, what was known as the Remington Autoloading Shotgun or Remington Automatic Shotgun. It's been so long since I've seen one, I don't recall how they were marked.
    If you can, post a pic of the ejection port side of your receiver.
    edited November -1
    Yes that's the notch this receiver doesn't have . I always seem to get the canc of worms ! have you ever seen one without the notch ? Most of the ones I've seen had Model 11 stamped on the receiver , this one is marked on the bolt .
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may have the americian browning made in the remington plant at st louis mo.during the war years.see if it has the shell stop.tks hedge[:D]
    edited November -1
    hedgehopper62 , this gun is dated to Dec. 46 ! There is something out of the ordinary about this thing for sure . I can't figure out how they even assembled it in the first place ! It doesn't have the Browning magazine cut off . PM email address and I'll send pictures to whoever wants to help me figure this thing out . Thanks guys I do appreciate your help !
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have mail.

OK, got the pics from oneoldsap,
    PB300179.jpg
    and there certainly isn't a notch. For some reason I didn't rcall ever seeing one without it. That is until I started pulling all of mine out. It's the only one of the bunch, but my 1949 Sportsman is also lacking the notch. Since the ages on mine jump from pre-war to '49 I couldn't even guess when they deleted it. My guess on why is that there may have been issues with the bolt locking up if the pin should slip sideways durring firing.

Now, for the teardown.
    You're already ahead of the game since you already have the cartridge lifter out. It needs to be removed before removing the bolt.
    Turn the receiver with the left side up and move the bolt back until you see the cartridge stop pin in the hole.
    008-2.jpg
    Carefully roll the receiver over and you will see the other end of the pin just behind and below the charging handle.
    009-1.jpg
    You need to make sure this pin remains aligned with the hole on the left side of the receiver. Use an 1/8" punch to push/drive the pin through and out of the left wall hole.
    The cartridge stop is what this pin holds and what also keeps the bolt from coming out until it is removed.
    010-1.jpg
    Next, lift up on the action rod.
    011.jpg
    And slide the bolt forward. The charging handle will slide loose from the rear of the bolt as it goes forward.
    012-1.jpg

During reassembly you will need to hold the charging handle inside the receiver and bring the bolt back in to meet it and engage in the T slot. You will also need to hold the action rod Up or it will be in the way.

The really fun part is reinstaling the cartridge stop pin and takes patience. A punch from the right side of the receiver can be used to keep the holes pretty close to aligned until the pin can be started into the cartridge stop.

Don'tcha just love hiden disassembly?
    Now, to reassemble my parts gun.
    edited November -1
    If you look at the bolt in the gun that I have , you will not see a cross pin at the front of the bolt . in one of the pics I sent you the handle is to the rear and there is a crosspin near the rear of the bolt . The large pin near the rear of the bolt on top is the firing pin retainer / stop pin . That pin doesn't drive through either , I got it out with a dental pic , it has a groove in it that the handle piece slides through I hooked it and pulled it out towards me , the firing pin popped right out . There is still no way to get the lock block / link pin out . It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one stumped by this thing . The center of the hole on the left side of the receiver and the center of the pin on the right rear bottom of the bolt are .045" different . I think I'm going to work on the stock for a while ! Thanks for trying to help !!
    edited November -1
    Got it done , Thanks folks !