In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus pt99af

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
recently bought one of these, basicly a copy of the Berretta 92. do the magazine interchange?

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    recently bought one of these, basicly a copy of the Berretta 92. do the magazine interchange?

Quick answer is "no". You can't expect stock/factory Beretta 92 mags to run in Taurus 92/99 guns out of the box.

On the other hand, apparently the only functional difference is mag catch location, and the Beretta mags can be fairly easily modified to work just by enlarging the catch hole a little bit. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imel3gS142w

Incidentally, Taurus 92/99 mags are fairly inexpensive and readily available, so unless you have access to a bunch of cheap/free Beretta mags, there probably isn't a good reason to do this. Mec-gar made 15, 19, and 20 round Taurus mags can be had for $19, $30, and $35 respectively, brand new.

Edit: FWIW, MecGar mags are excellent. The company makes the "factory" OEM mags for a number of major manufacturers, including SIG, Walther, Kimber, Smith and Wesson, and Kel-Tec. They actually used to make the OEM Beretta mags too, but don't anymore. So I wouldn't hesitate for one second to buy MecGar mags for my Taurus.

On the actual pistol, the original Taurus gun company was founded in the wake of WWII in Brazil in a previous Beretta factory using its old tooling. The 92 pistol used to be a direct copy of the older Beretta, but its since sort of "diverged" a bit to the point where the design is slightly different, and not every part interchanges.

Still, Taurus has been making these for decades, they're probably one of its strongest designs, and this is one of the few Taurus models I'd have no problem buying or relying on.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use Mec-car mags in mine. I have a couple of these pistols. I like them better than my Beretta 92s. I have one that I bought used about 16 years ago. I have used it for IDPA matches for years. I finally cracked the slide at about 35,000 rounds and bought a used slide on GunBroker and am still using it. I do use Beretta 92 barrels as they are more accurate than the Taurus barrels. I like the Taurus safety and adjustable sights.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    One was my first 9mm. Shot the hell out of it [;)] Never a problem with it [^]