In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rem. 8/81 Rear Sight

vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello All,

I've noticed the the rear folding sights on the Model 8 and 81 use #6 and/or #8 screws. Are they caliber oriented? Also, the #6's could be either 40 or 48 thread. Would that be manufacture date related? I haven't found, so far, other rifles with the 5/8" center pattern so I'm assuming(yeah, I know)they are for the two Rem.'s. I noticed height variations too. Thank you for your time.

Jim

Comments

• vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just noticed the 700 Series of rifles had what looked like the same hole centers and used a ramp style sight. Was the folding sight ever used on those models?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall the rear sight was mounted on the thin barrel jacket, not the barrel itself. Likely they would have used the finest thread screws, because of this.

Nick Strobel's book, "Old Gunsights", might have some information, that could help you? 81 hasn't been made, since right after the war. Seldom seen. Few I have run across in recent years.
    edited November -1
    They're Lyman No.25 bases. Low for Rem. 8 and 81, 25B for 740, 742, 760 and 725. There's a base that's 3 5/8" long that I think is for the 788 though there's no mention of it.

Thank you Mr. Snow.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem. 700 never had a factory folding sight rear , always had a screw-on, windage-adjustable one, (two different types, older/newer).
    edited November -1
    Strobel's didn't mention the 700 specifically, just the other four models.