In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping insurance and responsibility

glewisjaxglewisjax Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Ask the Experts
I expect that the vast majority of firearms shipped are delivered without incident, although there seem to be varying opinions about which of the shippers is most reliable.

When there is damage, though, who is responsible for them? It seems to me it would be the seller's responsibility that the merchandise is delivered in good condition, but is that the way it works?

Also, if insurance is purchased, wouldn't it have to be the seller who buys the insurance and the seller who would actually be the insured party? I have read that some of the carriers can be difficult to collect insurance from, perhaps in some cases claiming the packaging was not adequate, etc. I would be very interested in hearing about experiences anyone has had with insurance recoveries.

Lastly, I'm wondering if having a FFL dealer ship for me is a better situation or worse situation as relates to insurance. On the one hand, the dealer typically doesn't get that much money for shipping and might not be inclined to spend much time and be assertive with the carrier. On the other hand, maybe a dealer would have more leverage with the carrier because of his volume?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i pack well and insure all shipments for the value..the carriers all use 3rd party claim adjusters
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PURELY my opinion (opinions are like elbows- everybody has a couple, and I don't care about yours if it is not in my face).

I bought a rifle from you. I paid you for the rifle, AND for shipping it to me. You now have a duty to deliver the rifle to me, in the same condition as when I bought it.

If FedUp decides to drive over it with the company bulldozer, that is between you and FedUp, not me. YOU owe me the rifle in condition I bought it, or you owe me ALL my money back. YOU insure it, YOU file claim, YOU are the one that collects, not me.

I will cooperate by retaining packaging materials and firearm, and either returning it to you, or surrendering it to FedUp, as you request. Until the firearm is delivered to me, YOU have not completed the business deal you entered into with me.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    PURELY my opinion (opinions are like elbows- everybody has a couple, and I don't care about yours if it is not in my face).

I bought a rifle from you. I paid you for the rifle, AND for shipping it to me. You now have a duty to deliver the rifle to me, in the same condition as when I bought it.

If FedUp decides to drive over it with the company bulldozer, that is between you and FedUp, not me. YOU owe me the rifle in condition I bought it, or you owe me ALL my money back. YOU insure it, YOU file claim, YOU are the one that collects, not me.

I will cooperate by retaining packaging materials and firearm, and either returning it to you, or surrendering it to FedUp, as you request. Until the firearm is delivered to me, YOU have not completed the business deal you entered into with me.

Correct; the shipping company is the agent of the shipper. The transaction is not complete until the package is delivered to the receiving party in acceptable condition. Any claims for damage are the responsibility of the shipper.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The next time FEDUPS asks you (an FFL holder) to surrender a damaged firearm for claims purposes.... Ask them to fill out a 4473 and undergo a NICS check...
    JIM...............
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that the seller is responsible for safe dellivery. UPS will try anyting to get out of damage payments. I had an adjuster tell me that a rifle required 5 layers of bubble wrap before a claim would be paid. I am registered shipper and they finally relented since I was such a "good customer". I saw a UPS driver kick a gun box out of the truck onto the sidewalk in front of my store. I reported it and I think they just blew it off.
    Another thing you may want to consider is the fact that the Post Office can and will track the Money orders you send for a $6 fee. Thet have no obligation to help you just because you used their paymnet method. Nice friendly world we live in!
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    99% of auctions want the buyer to pay extra for the insurance . I figure it into the S&H because in the end I hold the bag for damages . Nobody wants bad feedback on their auction site !
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I list all my auctions with a price for shipping and insurance. In my opinion, unless something is sold as is, it is not the property of the purchaser until he has received the gun, inspected it and accepted it. I will not ship anything with a value over $100. without insurance.
  • benjamusbenjamus Member Posts: 1

I insured an order through Gunbroker in November. Buyer received and it was broken ($200 worth of damage, I insured for $700) Gunbroker will NOT respond to a ticket Ive had open for months. What do I do?!

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,311 ******

@benjamus what you don't do is bring up a thread from over ten years ago and complain here in the forums. The forum guidelines are posted (please read them) and we do not have any ability to help with auction side issues. Contact support on the auction side once and wait, it takes time, but if you contact them more than once it bumps you to the end of the line.

This discussion has been closed.