In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Coach gun

pigfarmer05pigfarmer05 Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
what company do you think makes the best coach gun?

Comments

• pigfarmer05pigfarmer05 Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a coach gun as a shooter to carry in my UTV. I have researched Stoger,Baikal,Cz and a few others. Who makes a quaility Coach gun in the 4-800 range that is dependable and has decent workmanship and quality? I dont want a piece of Junk. I am leaning towards the Stoger Supreme with chokes and single trigger. Any imput would be helpful. Thanks Rick
  • pigfarmer05pigfarmer05 Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys, I have a W.H. Moore & Co double barrel shotgun I just received in very good shape everything is here and it shoots. I can not find any info on it can anyone give my some sort of history or direct me to some place where I might find out? I need a ball park value it is 12ga. Thanks 45
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Just buy an old double lefever or LC and cut the barrels off.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, for that money you would be better off with a short barreled Rem. 1100. They have been making them for 50 years and usually there are some descent used ones on the auctions. The gas actuated mechanism absorbs enough of the recoil to make it easier shooting then a double. All sorts of accessories are on the market for it to, like adjustable sights. You also got 5 shots with the 1100 and only two with the coach gun.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stevens 311. You don't need a mint one for a truck gun. Should be able to find a solid one in your price range. Well built, walnut and blued steel. Would be my choice.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    Stevens 311. You don't need a mint one for a truck gun. Should be able to find a solid one in your price range. Well built, walnut and blued steel. Would be my choice.

+1 Also a Savage Fox B would be a good choice, I've seen plenty with banged up barrels that could be shortened.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the ones made by Baikal, and imported by EAA, are decent. I have a 10 year old 410 from them, and it cost me under $300.00 new. It has a single selective trigger, Splinter forend release, and automatic ejector's. It looks like it was built on a 20 gauge frame, and it is built like a tank. BTW, it has genuine walnut stock and fore end.

I am sure the price has gone up, but if they are still built like that, they are a great value.

Best

cartod,

quote:Just buy an old double lefever or LC and cut the barrels off.

I am sure Bert H has a couple LC Smith's in his tomato garden...[:D][:D][:D]
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could in that range go with any. The Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 are proven classics.

You could save major $$ buying a old sxs and cutting it down to 18" minimum for portability in the vehicle.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I have the stoeger silverado and an 18" mossberg 500.
    can't go wrong with either one

tom
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much choice anymore in coach guns. It will have to be foreign made. I carry the Baikal brand from Russia. They can be a real bit** to break open sometimes. Price should be under $300 for one.
  • Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Stoeger and am very happy with it..Works great. takes steel shot if you want shoots 00 with impv cylinder chokes and works great with #4 buck for home defense. Good critter gun. I carry is in a scabbord on my John Deere Tractor here on the farm..
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I have a Stoeger 20ga Coach gun. 2 3/4 and 3". I love it.
    My 2 cents[8D]