In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Standard and MkII pistols

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
What year was the improvement of the bolt hold open after the last round? Did it start with the MKII or did some of the later Standard pistols (1949-81) have this?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a NRA publication, ( On Rugers ), that reproduces, their January 1982 cover. It announces the availability of the Mark II. And notes that it will have a last shot hold open. That the previous models didn't have.
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct. The Standard pistol (also referred to as the MKI) had no Bolt hold open after the last shot.
    If I recall, the Standard frame was changed in 1971, at which time the magazine button moved from the right to the left but still had no hold open.
    I just picked up a 1981 Standard, no last shot hold open but the bolt can be held back by pushing up on the safety, released by pushing down on the safety.
    In 1982 the end of the MKI Standard was marked with a Bill Ruger Signture edition, stainless steel w/ his engraved signature in a 1 of 5,000 edition and it had no bolt hold open.
    But, the MKII first appeared in 1982 with a bolt hold open after the last shot and a 10 round magazine.
    Regards,
    Dan R
  • Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Much appreciated. I once had a MKII and sold it years ago, yep regrets, off to the auction side.