In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt New Service .357 Mag special order odd config

mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
Colt New Service .357 Mag special order odd configuration

Let me preface this by stating this was the second handgun I ever purchased - at an indoor farm and estate auction in rural Virginia

I bought the gun for two primary reasons...

1. Chambered in .357 magnum

2. Marked "Prince Edward Island Constabulary"

I was young and I thought it was neat - it was a police department labeled magnum revolver - and I had money burning a hole in my pocket

It's a Colt New Service Revolver chambered in .357 Magnum

It's a big frame double action revolver

It was manufactured in 1940 and was a special order piece not a standard production model

The backstrap is marked "Prince Edward Island Constabulary" and has the number "224" on the but as well as a British broad arrow proof

There are at lease 3 Canadian / British broad arrows on the gun

It has the lanyard ring - it has no shroud - it's a late model and is bigger than an "N" frame

1939 Date of Manufacture - 42 ounces - 10 1/2 OAL

special order 5" bbl "New Service Shooting Master" high grade variant ($9.25 extra cost) included custom shop hand tuned action and adjustable sights - finely checkered front and back strap

Rounded checkered cylinder latch - unprotected ejector rod

My gun has a trigger shoe (Ace) added at some point in the past

The 5" special order bbl appears to have 14 grooves???

Double action trigger pull is greater than 12 lbs

Single action trigger pull is 3.20 lbs

Overall finish is 90% - bluing is excellent and strong - wear is evident on the backstrap - light handling wear - I don't think ots been fired more than 20 times

Gun came with 4 boxes of period correct old dominion Canadian ammo - 3 boxes are sealed - one is missing 20 rounds

Gun was stored in a home made case using a multi colored quilt on the outside and purple silk on the inside and a shoulder patch with "RCMP PEIC" and a big "C" in the center loose inside

The gun had pointer pup faux stay plastic panels on it which I removed - the gun came with the factory hard rubber grips with I set aside - I now have correct reproduction checkered walnut with the silver medallion

Bore is mint - timing and lock up are flawless

No original box - it was in what looks like a plain poplar hinged jewelry box with a high gloss finish and red flowers and a green branch and a harp burn etched into the lid along with "New Foundland Royal Constabulary" over the art - and "Long Service" under the art.
Bottom marked "Ceders" with a local address that appears to be a combo pub and restaurant and dry goods and gift shop

I have put a grand total of 100 rounds of .38 special target wadcutter though it

I don't know much about these guns - their variants - rarity of markings or configuration - value - history - etc...

Please drop some knowledge and educate me - what do o not no and what do I need to know.

I know it's a bit of an esoteric niche item somewhat divergent from the mainstream.

Thanks guys.

Mike

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you got the Colt archive letter for it?
    I would pay the $100 for such an unusual revolver.

Pictures would be very interesting.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have my books unpacked. I seem to remember, that the "Broad Arrow Proof. Used by the Canadians was different. Then the ones used by the limeys. It was in the, Capitol letter "C".

If it has just the plain "Broad Arrow", without the "C"? It never made it to Prince Edward Island. 1940 was a bad year for the Brits. After Dunkirk. They were very hard up, for anything that could shoot. They even bought single action armys, in 45LC from Colt.

My WAG. Because of the non availability of 38 & 357 ammo. It was never issued over there. But it was in stores, over the whole of W W II. Hard to know, how it actually got back stateside. It might have been a gift, or 5 finger discount. For Coffee, Cigarettes, Nylons etc.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    That sounds like a great item high quality and history however will take the right person to want to pay what it is worth as a SHOOTER pictures are a must if you put it up for sale on GB ,
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, anytime you have a Colt with as many other than standard features as this one seems to have, a Colt Archive Letter would be prudent; especially if you eventually want to sell it and would like to get top dollar!

Looking through the Sutherland book and a few others, a number of law enforcement agencies are listed as receiving points for the New Service Revolvers, but "Prince Edward Island Constabulary" isn't mentioned, so if the Archive letter confirms that inscription, that might be a first!!!!

If you don't mind the waiting period, then the standard service is $100 as mentioned above. However, I'd go for the over the Phone service for an additional $100; you'll get the letter information over the phone the same or next day and the actual letter in 2-3 weeks.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My research indicates the new foundland royal constabulary predates prince Edward Islands constabulary and may not only be a precursor agency but a supervisory authority...

Yes the Canadian broad arrows are with the "C" I may not have used the proper nomenclature to describe them

Ceders appears to be part pub and part general store and diner on PEI from what I can ascertain

I am an aficionado of early colts from the 1850s to the 1890s especially rimfire pocket pistols and later SAA revolvers

To be honest I am not a new service fan - the shop I grew up working in was flooded with lots of varieties and finishes and COO mostly in poor shape - I thought they were big and chunky and ugly - I even passed on a pair from the battleship new Jersey because I was an idiot

I have shown it to colt collectors who think it's correct - who all try to buy it on the spot - who think it somehow got set aside and stored up during the war being used by someone after the conflict

Opinion and theory is that it was sold to the RCMP and further issued or distributed from there

It's a late gun - and I agree that .357 mag is an odd choice during the war

It's one I have zero intention of selling - until the cancer comes back

Since I don't know these colt variants I don't get what the fuss is about - the art on the box lid matches the constabulary patch logo and iconography

Long service is a phrase the constabs and Mounties use - possibly a retirement gift - there is a medal / device / award marked that may

Please tell me more as I literally know next to nothing.

Thanks guys - it's my lone safe queen that never gets shown

Mike