In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Broomhandle Mauser questions

quietman123quietman123 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
Good Morning to all. I need advice and where better to go than this forum. There is a local gun collector in central Virginia that has many amazing guns. The distinguishing thing about this collector is the fact that nearly all of approx. 100 guns are in remarkable condition. As he says, "I don't buy junk". Well, neither do I. He purchased a broomhandle Mauser about 20 years ago. It is in amazing condition, I would guess 98% condition though my percentage rating ability is clearly subjective. He also has a shoulder stock, leather harness and steel cleaning rod. All of the accessories are equally fine. Now, if he were asking $1000 for the package, I would not be overly concerned. However, he appears to be firm on $2200 (a lot of money to me). My flashing cash could bring the price down a little but this gent is very wily. He does realize that it is not for everyone and that it is hard to sell a gun in this price range. Obviously, I have seen the pistol and may drive to see it again to take photos so I can research it. My questions are these:
1. How reasonable is it to find an old gun this fine in this condition? I fear it may be professionally refinished thereby affecting the value.
2. There are parts on the top of the pistol that have a rosy color. What does that indicate?
3. How can I determine if it has been refinshed?
4. I realize the accessories are sold aftermarket and new. They look pretty amazing and are cheap. What will help me determine if these are all original?
5. What specific version of this pistol will help establish this value?
6. Is $2200 just too expensive regardless of the specifics.

I have purchased a number of very fine guns from this fellow and have always paid right at their value. I would appreciate any advice, I may drive the 40 miles later today to take photos or impulsively buy (I hope not but I am human). Thanks...Dan

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quietman123,

If it were in really pristine condition it might be a fair price. I'm seeing them at around $1k. But most of those have a lot of the bluing worn off. A lot of the less desireable/poorer condition examples of guns have lost a lot of value lately. Only the pristine ones are holding up.

To get the $2200 I would say the stock and accessories would need to be original as well.

One caveat to this would be a "Red Nine". Those were the C96 pistols that had a 9 carved in the grips and painted red. With an original buttstock those could run over $4k.

There is quite a bit of variation in price here due to condition and status of accessories.

My bottom line is if this was MINT it would be worth that. Otherwise, you'd be paying too much hoping the market recovers.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    My advice is to learn before you buy and this particular deal is not for you.
    If the gun is original, it's a steal to a real collector. Even Oyster Bay referb guns are over a grand now, so his price is around that.
  • ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    When you check it out today, pay close attention to the finish. Look at the stampings. Any evidence of heavy buffing, etc? A good refinsher can make them look really nice.You are primarily buying the pistol itself if the accessories are aftermarket. (maybe even Chinese) They really wouldn't increase the value much. Be careful!
    Tom
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rosy color?
    "Parts on top of the gun?"
    Do they have names?

I don't know if anything on a C96 is straw colored like the small parts on a Luger, but even if so, I would not call it "rosy."
    A reddish or plum tint is a sign of hot blue done at wrong temperature or with the wrong temperature or composition for the particular steel. Not proof, but an indication of a reblue to me.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice is to learn before you buy and this particular deal is not for you.

So true,,don't ask me how I know.... BUT it takes YEARS to develope a "buying" prospective on and how certain items are in relation to the market.

One short story though,,I was n a gunshop some years ago,,there sat a k-98 mountain carbine,,all matching, 95%,,,it was screaming at me to BUY for 450.00,,,NO WAY, I could buy k-98s for 200.. thats when I found Gunbroker,,,and researched,,,and shett my pants and of course it was sold when I called back// learn,its a process.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only way we could help you at all is if you could post quality photos. Even then if it's a professional quality restoration it might be hard to discern just from the photos. It would require a hands on from a pro. This would entail complete disassembly to check wear and finish on internal parts.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A"rosy" color indicates it has been reblued in a hot salt bath that was nearly depleated of chemicals. Sounds like the owner is looking for a sucker.
  • quietman123quietman123 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I feel passing on this one may be the best advice too. I am not qualified to evaluate whether the accessories are repros. Also, detecting a refined gun can be tricky. Bottom line is the pistol is a bit of a pig in a poke and possibly overpriced in this market. I will definitely pass at $2200. I appreciate the input very much.
    Dan
  • quietman123quietman123 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found the part names that were "reddish", the extractor and the rear sight slide. I found similar pistol in a Rock Island Auction Catalog where those two parts were vibrant blue rather reddish. Sure re-enforces a re-blue where temperature was not correct. I do believe the owner believes it to be original. Probably best for our on-going business relationship for me to not mention my concerns. I will just move on to other great guns he owns. Thanks to all for expressing opinions and concerns.
    Dan
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I live in central Va. I might be able to help. I will send you a personal email If it is in your profile If not double click on my user name and send me a message. Karl
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any indication of HOT bluing would be a concern for me, I believe these were all cold rust blued.