In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blue Removal

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
I purchased a nice Westrtmfield Model 58 (Savage) that I stripped down to it most basic parts and hand some Simply Green in a long pan so it tossed the barrel and receiver inn. I pulled it out about one hour later and pulled my hand down the barrel and hand a lot of black on my hand, the barrel had lost about sixty percent of its color. I put it back in and by the next day the bluing was almost all gone except for a few places on the receiver where it was heavy. After a very light scrubbing with Scotch Guard it was completely striped of color. I hope this helps to get one of your guns done to metal with out much sweat?

Comments

• andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Naval Jelly with some success on an old break top revolver once.

Goodgunparts,
    Good question. Answer: It's a guy thing. Never miss a chance to do anything that involves stripping. [:D]
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    phosphoric acid is deadly on blue drop it in and it will disappear in seconds[;)]
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone said that the blue job on the barreled receiver was a poor one so I dropped a re blued Winchester barrel that has the dark blue like you see on a Smith. We will see in two days if it does anything to the color.

Emmett
  • 260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i use blue and rust remover from BROWNELLS in my shop
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Simple Green is a heck of a lot safer to use than some other de-bluers...
  • kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CLR works very fast. after all bluing is basically rust. have used it on rings and some parts works very well
    Kevin
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pulled the Winchester barrel with the dark blue out of the Simpley Greed and about sixty percent of the bluing is gone and by tomorrow it will be close to 100%. This is good news for me, I get these projects and this will make a clean way to get to refinishing the weapons.

Emmett
  • goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok dumb question.

If you want to strip the blueing, I am guessing you want to reblue it.

Are you not going to polish it so the new blue job will be nice? If so why strip it first?

What am I missing here?
  • 260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    a consistant even blued finishquote:Originally posted by goodgunparts
    Ok dumb question.

If you want to strip the blueing, I am guessing you want to reblue it.

Are you not going to polish it so the new blue job will be nice? If so why strip it first?

What am I missing here?
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner prior to refinishing to remove the blue. Works like magic along with 0000 steel wool. Don't even think about leaving an open container around as the fumes will rust metal.