In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

History Remington UMC 1911 two digit ser. #

tommy45autostommy45autos Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Folks: I would like to research a Remington UMC 1911 made in 1918 with a two digit serial # ,all the correct markings except the US Property marks. Is there a source for info on these pistols at Remington? Thankyou

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are no public records available.

There are records of a relatively small percentage of US military firearms on the Springfield Research Service data base, but those records are privately owned & not available to the general public.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only 21,000+ were made by Rem. UMC in 1917 & 18. Here is a photo of one with the proper government markings. At this late date it would be difficult to find more information on yours, unless you can trace the ownership back 95 years. With only a 2 digit serial number and without government markings, it might have been a presentation piece, or one retained in the factory?

umcslide2.jpg

You might check with Perry Shooter, I believe he knows Charles Colson who has written a number of books on the early 1911's.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I am curious You say all proper marks EXCEPT US PROPERTY. Is the markings MISSING or have they been filed/ground off [?][?] looks like your pistol if 2 digit serial number would have been delivered either the week of AUG 17 or Aug 24 or Aug 31 of 1918. If your pistol never had U.S.PROPERTY IT would be very valuable if the U.S. Property was removed it would not be the end of the world but IMHO cut value in half of one with the markings and 1/4 of the value of one that did not have the mark in the first place. Can you post some pictures or contact me by double clicking on my user name and send me a Personal EMAIL. Cheers PERRY SHOOTER
  • Options
    tommy45autostommy45autos Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This pistol is correct according to Clawson's and Harrison's books. I can find no evidence that the US Property stamp was ever present or ground off.