In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington made Marlin 336

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any experience with the Remington made Marlins? Looked at one at the local Gander Mountain a few weeks ago and the wood was absolutely terrible. The wood to metal fit was bad and the wood itself looked like a piece of rough cut lumber. Any opinions?

Comments

• dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a bunch of older Marlins, just bought an 80's version 1894 in 25.20 WCF. I've seen the newly produced Marlins and while some are good I see alot of light wood, poor fit and finish. The "Remlins" have gremlins, I think.[;)]
  • pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a friend that just bought a 45/70 XLR 24" barrel in stainless.
    Spent about half a day polishing the interior to get it to feed
    ok. More sharp edges than a box of knives.[:(]
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    [V] i too have seen them and am disapointed
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    marlin is yat another victim of mass-acquisition by corporations, who then cut corners, cut quality, and cut anything else to make a profit for a few folks on these investments. In this case "Freedom Group" is the culprit...again.

Freedom Group is owned by Cerberus Capital Management, a private equity investment firm.

Do you really think anyone at Cerberus Capital Management gives a rats patoot about what it takes to make a quality gun that'll last a lifetime?
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911

Do you really think anyone at Cerberus Capital Management gives a rats patoot about what it takes to make a quality gun that'll last a lifetime?

Last a LIFETIME? How they gonna sell guns that way.

Got to use 21st century marketing. Sell crud that breaks just after they forget how much they paid for it. Then sell them an improved version that will do the same thing.

Any of your kids or grand kids going to have toys that still work when they have kids? Anyone have a computer, cell phone, or microwave that is more then 2 years old? I don't have a microwave and my computer still runs win 98.

Too bad about Marlin. They made great 22's and I especially like them as everyone else turns their noses up when they see one. Sure the good ones are bolt guns with the lever tossed in for that western look. Don't recall if I ever shot the 88/89. The 60 series was not the best gun ever made.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I think that pre-Cerberus Marlins will become what pre-64 Winchesters did. I read an eval on two new Marlins that was posted on the internet (but I forgot where) in which both of the Marlins that were purchased, were evaluated as crap which needed a lot of reworking in order to become viable guns.

I just bought a Marlin 94C (.357) that was a 1979 ('pre-warning, pre safety') manufacture in about 98% condition, for $275. I consider myself very lucky in that. And I think I'll buy another old .35 Rem Marlin, while the buying is still good.

The trashing of Marlin might also give the Mossberg lever guns a new lease on life.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GGP you're right about the new disposable empire we've created.."use and toss" is the new way of doing business. If this is the path they've chosen I think they'll get a few first time buyers, but in the long run no one will come back if they're making crapola.

When I plunk down my 5-6-7 hundred bucks (or more) for a gun, I'd like it to be made well, look good, but most importantly; function. If the new Marlins are finished and assembled by Helen Keller and visual QC was done by Stevie Wonder, no doubt they'll fold up. Even worse is if they feel like someone dumped a fist full of sand into the action when I work it. If that's their business model I'll pass on a new purchase and buy a used one.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Speaking of Remington, they just got a government contract for 100,000 M4's, at about $800 each. This follows last year's contract for 1200 M24 sniper rifles, at about $7,000 each.

With the traditional cost over-runs, the M4's will probably end up costing us about $1600 each[xx(]. With Cerberus running the show, we might be able to figure on double even that[xx(][xx(]. And there is probably a separate contract for spare parts, at four times the cost of the parts when they are included in a gun[xx(][xx(][xx(].

And if the rumor that George Soros owns a major part of Cerberus is true, he will sub-contract the whole shebang to to some muffler shop in Guatemala. Now, I'm getting [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]'d out. [:D]

Corporate America, on the move.