In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.17 Accuracy (Best To Buy)

CconanCconan Member Posts: 25
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Looking at maybe getting a rifle in a 17 cal. Want one that's pretty good for accuracy.
Thinking about the Marlin XT-17. Looks like they can be had for under $300. I like the price.
I've always had good luck with Marlins. Feel it's a name I could trust.
See the Browning are going for about $750.
Would they be worth the extra $$$?
Did look at a Henry Golden Boy at a Cabella's for $450. Pretty rifle. But I'm thinking it wouldn't be the best for the price. How would it be for accuracy? That's my main concern in looking for a rifle.
Like to keep it under the $300 mark. But might be willing to go for the $750 if there is a significant difference in that range. But the 750 would have to be the max I could pay.
What rifle would you recommend?
Guess the main question is, What's the best rifle for $300, $500 and under $800?
Wanting to use it for varmints.
How are they for turkeys?
Thanks

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a lightweight Mossberg 17 HMR. Very disappointed- sold it 3 weeks later. Got a Savage 93, heavy barrel, thumbhole stock- INCREDIBLY accurate.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take yourself a look at the CZ-455. It cost a little more than the Savage, but you will not be disappointed.

You must state what kind of 17 cal you are looking for, to start with...there are tons of them, both Rimfire, and centerfire.

The most accurate one I have is a Cooper Model 38 in 17 Fireball.

Best

EDIT 1
    quote:quote:Originally posted by Cconan
    "You must state what kind of 17 cal you are looking for, to start with...there are tons of them, both Rimfire, and centerfire."

I didn't even know they came in a center fire. Shows you how much I know.
    Seems most are HMR.
    So what type round would be best. Is one type more accurate then others?

Looking at the Savage 93, there are letters that come after the 93. Guess they are different models. Figured out what some of it means. Like SS. But for the most put it doesn't tell me anything. Anywhere to go for a break down on what the letters mean?

Looks like I still have some homework to do.

Yes, the centerfires are inherently more accurate. They are available in 17 Hornet, 17 Fireball, and 17 Remington commercially, from the factory.

Please bear in mind that they will be more pricey, in both hardware, and ammunition, but will also extend your range, at least 100 yards further out with the smaller one, and 200-300 yards more with the larger ones. All depending on how much crosswinds you are shooting in.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the Ruger 77/22 in 17WSM:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=547179950

I like mine better than 17HMR.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage 93, cheap camo version with scope. Three in a dime at 50 yrds out of the box. I think it is a keeper.
  • CconanCconan Member Posts: 25
    edited November -1
    "You must state what kind of 17 cal you are looking for, to start with...there are tons of them, both Rimfire, and centerfire."

I didn't even know they came in a center fire. Shows you how much I know.
    Seems most are HMR.
    So what type round would be best. Is one type more accurate then others?

Looking at the Savage 93, there are letters that come after the 93. Guess they are different models. Figured out what some of it means. Like SS. But for the most put it doesn't tell me anything. Anywhere to go for a break down on what the letters mean?

Looks like I still have some homework to do.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to the Savage website and click on 17 HMR in the Gunfinder.
    There are 25 choices! But you can check out the features vs alphabet soup model numbers.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/
  • CconanCconan Member Posts: 25
    edited November -1
    "Go to the Savage website and click on 17 HMR in the Gunfinder"

Thanks, I found it there:

AK - Adjustable Muzzle Brake

B - Laminate Stock

BT - Laminated Thumbhole Stock

C - Clip (Detachable Box Magazine)

F - Synthetic Stock

G - Hardwood Stock

H - Hinged Floorplate

L - Left hand

ML - Muzzleloader

SR - Suppressor Ready barrel (Threaded)

NS - No Sights

P - Police

SS - Stainless Steel

T - Rimfire Peep Sights

V - Heavy Varmint Barrel

XP - Package Gun

Y - Youth model

Example: 11FCNS - Synthetic stock, detachable mag, no sights
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin 917VS in .17 HMR caliber. It has a heavy stainless barrel and gray laminated stock. It will shoot nickel sized 5 shot groups at 100 yds. when there isn't any wind. The scope is a silver colored Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with side focus adjustment for parallex. If you can find one, I highly recommend it as a 100 yard varmint rifle. I use mine mostly to shoot crows and groundhogs.
  • godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i vote for the savage 93r
  • my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the very first Marlin .17 HMR back in 2002. My NIB Marlin 917V Blue heavy barrel has been a tack driver from day one, out to 150 yd's, give or take a few yards, and it did'nt break the bank ($230.00 OTD)! A lot of woodchucks have gone to the great beyond with this rig and they never knew what hit them!!