In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Merwin & hurlburt revolvers

o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have never seen one that i know of but have heard they exist

some one has a few that were gifted to the some years back said they are just avg.. I dont know what avg means to this person..

I will be looking

what do i need to look for?

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merwin_Hulbert

I start with condition of finish and tightness of the mechanism. Light pitting is expected, same for buggered up screw heads.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many Merwin & Hulbert revolvers were actually made by Hopkins & Allen. A revolver will often contain markings of both companies.

They were generally well made and have some unique features. For example on the one I have in my hand right now, to load or unload the barrel + cylinder rotates 90 degrees and then moves forward. Only the empty cases are ejected not unfired ones. Some have a folding hammer spur that can be used in the usual manner or folded down to create less of a snag when drawn from a pocket.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If'n it were good enuff for Jesse James......
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by truthful
    Many Merwin & Hulbert revolvers were actually made by Hopkins & Allen. A revolver will often contain markings of both companies.

They were all made by Hopkins & Allen, but the H&A name was left off of later production.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The large frame eject feature in 44-40 doesn't work that reliably but may have with the original straight 44 M&H cartridge.
    M&H were agents rather than manufacturers.
    My "Pocket Army" with short barrel weighs 2 1/4 lbs!
    They could be bought with multiple barrels in different lengths.
    Mine came out of Russia. The story goes M&H sold a large order to the czar who didn't pay for them. It was the reason M&H went under.
    They are accurate guns.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Further to M&H history, the US Army tested them in 1877 .
    In their rejection notes the M&H novel selective ejection system didn't perform as advertized.
    The Army also wanted to evaluate it in the Army cartridge.
    The test sample was probably in 44 M&H cartridge.