In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammo and Guns Mutual Funds?

andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
Noting the active sales in guns and ammo during the recent months, I mentioned to my financial adviser that I would be interested in moving some of my money into a mutual fund that had heavy investment in ammunition, firearms, and other sporting goods manufacturers. He contacted me back today and said he was unsuccessful in his search.
Does anyone here know of any mutuals that would take advantage of the recent surge in sales in guns and ammo?
No joke, this is a genuine longterm investment question.
Thanks.

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Andrew, but you appear to have learned nothing from Bernie Madoff.

Most "stock investments" in the US are based on smoke & mirrors, not things with intrinsic value. "Short" & "long" transactions require nothing except a computer entry; same thing for oil & pork futures. You don't have to possess a thing, & there's no worry about where to store your oil barrels or pork bellies, or how to evaluate their value on a daily basis. Fluctuations are largely due to the "greater fool" principle.

Your best bet is a "self directed" ammo & guns mutual fund, which I believe a few forum members already have.

Neal
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been investing in those areas heavily for the last few years. Rather than put that money in paper, my investments are more substantial-as in the real thing.
    Just my opinion but brokers, investment schemes, stocks, and all the other Wall Street/Chicago Board of Trade hokus pokus is a big factor in the US economic woes.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I am a firm believer in tangible investments.

A $2000 Colt python in my possesion feels much better than $2000 worth of cyberspace one's and zero's!
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two companies that have done very well in recent months are Sturm Ruger (RGR) and Smith & Wesson Holding Co. (SWHC). It may be a little late to get in on the surge in the prices of these stocks. You can use an internet search engine to find current stock prices using the symbols above. I know of no mutual fund that invests in firearms and ammo companies and I use a broker to invest directly in the companies.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who knows why, but many here appear to be more interested in furthering their own philosophies than answering a simple question posed by a participant. To those, I will respond that I have a diversified portfolio of investments. For some investments, I have taken possession of tangible property. For others, the investment is in the form of stocks. If I find a legitimate honorable American company that is making a profit and I expect that to continue, I might want to own a piece of that company, both to enjoy a share of the profits and to be able to vote my shares and help keep their management on the right track. What am I going to do? Go take physical possession of one room in the factory? Obviously, the only way to own part of a company is on paper, i.e. stocks. There are benefits and risks in both. On this proposed investment, a mutual fund of several gun and ammo companies, I have done my research and had my financial manager do his and we both came up empty. I wasn't being lazy and coming to the forum in lieu of doing my own research. I fielded that specific question in the faint hope that someone on this forum may have found something.

Thank you, Herschel, for the courtesy of addressing the question that was asked. [:)]

Cartod, been there done that TOO. [;)] My supply of guns, ammo, and components is "significant". Let's just say I have a stockpile. [:D](Or, more accurately, I DID until that awful day when I was transporting it all across the lake and the boat tipped over. [;)]) I cover my bets through diversification since each investment tactic involves its own particular set of risks. [:D]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Just buy guns and ammo. Eliminate the middle man.

Seriously, if you invest say 50k into the guns/ammo you belive will do the best. Put them in a safe and hold them for 5-10 years you can then capitalize on your gain by selling everything(including the safe), realizing your profit, and not pay tax on the gain.

Any other way involves commisions, cap gains, and other risks.

If you're going to speculate, might as well go all the way.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    In other times, when stockbrokers indicated that America West was booming, a guy in Phoenix bought $400,000 in stock. The next day, America West filed for bankruptcy protection. The guy had paid $400 Grand for a bunch of Corporate autographs. He made the news, but not in a way that he wanted to.

Most of Corporate America cycles their scams independently, like Madoff and GM, but sometimes it is done jointly, as in 1929.

I'm not averse to taking risks, but not with a risky class of people, or their paper. I invested $thousands in 2001, but it was in silver, at $5 per ounce, which I took physical possession of. One of these days, I'll have to check the price of silver ([:)]).
  • HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my two cent's worth, and not yet mentioned----Real estate. I have bought and sold real estate, both as an individual, and as a licensed agent for 45 years. Never lost a dime, but usually made great returns. Just don't go here if you may need to sell on short notice. Look for something that has a long term tennant, and will pay it's way as you go. Consider mort. pym't, taxes. maint., and vacancy rate. In these days of foreclosures, the prices are extremely low, and the R. E. market always comes back. All of the people that are losing their homes to foreclosure, have to live somewhere. Find a good agent, or R. E. Attorney. This info. is not meant to be a recomendation, but my pers. experience. P.S. Find an "owner will carry", who would lease back!!! Hawkshaw
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this company owns many guns and ammo companies

Remington is part of the Freedom Group, owned by Cerberus Capital Management.
    Contents
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    Noting the active sales in guns and ammo during the recent months, I mentioned to my financial adviser that I would be interested in moving some of my money into a mutual fund that had heavy investment in ammunition, firearms, and other sporting goods manufacturers. He contacted me back today and said he was unsuccessful in his search.
    Does anyone here know of any mutuals that would take advantage of the recent surge in sales in guns and ammo?
    No joke, this is a genuine longterm investment question.
    Thanks.

Buy machine guns.

Seriously.

They're tangible assets AND they've outperformed virtually every other investment over the last 20 years.

Only problem is they're not all that "liquid" (though bluntly MORE liquid than real estate or such), but if you're willing to hold them for a few years, liquidity shouldn't matter.