In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rifle markings

emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
Came upon a guy selling a Type 99 Arisaka. I asked for some pictures of the rifle and the receiver has markings I have yet to see on one of these rifles. It has the usual Type 99 in Japanese characters but right above it it says 1946 and a weird German Iron Cross symbol. HELP! What does this mean?

Comments

• emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right click over broken image and select "open in new tab," You should be able to view it then.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    was over in 1945 they were allies once[:D]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's looks sanitized then re-stamped to me. Maybe some sort Axis Odessa File outfit. Nice pic by the way.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After Japan's surrender in 1945. Korea was divided at the 38th parallel. U.S. didn't want the commies, to take control of South Korea.

Helped the South Koreans, by providing ex Japanese rifles. Never was aware, of any of them marked like the one in your photo though? The ones that I'm aware of were Parkerized, rechambered to 30-06, and marked 30-06. Being yours is dated 1946, it might be one of the first ones issued, to the South Koreans? As the war had just ended, the previous year.

EDIT #1,

The strange marking on the receiver, is where the Japanese Emperors chrysanthemum marking is located. It's very common, to find captured Japanese rifles with the mum defaced. The EX Japanese rifles sent to South Korea were reworked in Japan. No way were the Japanese going to send their rifles with the Emperors mum to the South Koreans. IMHO.

[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/nb6kjd.jpg" alt="Image result for type 99 rifle markings"/>[/img]
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the possibility that it has been rebarreled to '06 it would be a good idea to slug the bore and make a chamber cast to ensure you know what it is set up to fire. The 99 is a strong action so it can handle the pressures of the '06, if quality components were used and proper work was done.