In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt New Service

ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in Ask the Experts
Any information about this firearm would be much appreciated. I went to a local gun store and paged through some books. My guess is Colt New Service with modified front sight post and possibly ivory grips. It has a four inch barrel chambered in 45 LC and serial number of 1279XX with a "J" stamped just below that. If any other information or additional pics would help anyone, please let me know.

p2252989.jpgp2252990f.jpg

[img][/img]p2252989.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[img][/img]p2252990.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Colt New Service setting here that an old friend inherited, it's a 38WCF(38-40), 7 1/2 barrel, and laynard ring. The serial number is 318601 and it's in a J.M. Eubanks holster. Friends family tradition says the pistol came from the RCMP. I have been over the gun pretty thoroughly, I can't find any RCMP or Canadian proofs. I have read that some RCMP firearms weren't marked. I don't know.
    According to the History of The Colt Revolver, the New Service went into production in 1897. Can any one tell me when this was built?
    How about the RCMP conection? Can any body help?
    Thanks for looking.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    Anyone know the relative rarity of New Service revolvers chambered for 44 Special / 44 Russian in comparison to other chamberings? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    My grandad has what I beleive to be a Colt New Service Commercial Model. I am hoping that you guys can confirm/deny this. Also a few other questions:
    1.What are the numbers on the bottom of the butt?
    2.The serial number is 2086xx. What date range would this pistol be in?
    3.Is it a .45 Colt? I haven't seen any other pistols that say "Colt D.A.45".
    Any other information off the top of your head would be great too. I apologize in advance for the not-so-great pics.

img1091ayn.jpg
    img1090va.jpg
    img1048fy.jpg
    img1046ms.jpg
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know the significance of the VP on the trigger guard of some Colt new Service revolvers?
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is just a 1st impression but I'm inclined to believe that's a reblued Model 1917. Is "Property of United States" stamped on the barrel underside and is there a plugged hole in the bottom of the grip? How long exactly is the barrel?

A 2086XX puts a New Service at 1919 manufacture.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Refinished and the hole for the lanyard ring is filled in.
    What are the barrel markings on top of the barrel?
    Looks like a New Service 45 Long Colt.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Along with the reblue and pluging the lanyard ring hole it's possible that the U.S. Army markings have been removed from the base of the grip. Here is a photo off the net of what a original 1917's butt looks like.

m1917.24.jpg