In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rem 700 or Weatherby Vanguard for build

MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have seriously been considering a Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard. The problem is I want a 6.5x284 or 6.5x06. I would compromise with a 25-06. Obviously these are not a factory deal. My question is : Is there a significant difference between using a vanguard action or a Remington 700 action and having the rifle built?

Comments

• MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    700. No question.

The Vanguard does not have near as much available for parts.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa action, a very nice ation but not nearly as many after market choices regarding trigger, stock, bottom metal. I'm sure you can set up a very nice target rifle based on the Howa, but for whatever reason we shooters tend to think of ways to tinker with guns even after they're done.

If you're going to have a rifle built why not go with exactly what you want? And maybe it's just my bad luck, but while I really like my 25.06 rifles each has been a bit of a PITA to find the right load. The 6mm or 6.5/.264 tends to be more popular and have lots of good bullets avialable.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 6.5-06 on a 700 sounds good. I spent some time with a quick twist 256 Newton. It as the second or third most accurate rifle I ever shot.
  • MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple vanguards and a Howa. All are really accurate for me with no particular effort. But my gunsmith prefers to work on the Rem 700 so guess we will go that way. Thank you to all for your input.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I talked to a local guy about re-barreling a Howa 7mm Rem mag to 257 Wby. He refused the job claiming his lathe wasn't set up to cut metric threads. Maybe he just didn't want to go to the trouble to figure out how to make the adjustments. Any how, that was about the time Vanguards came out in 257 so I went that way for far less $$.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Milliron
    I have a couple vanguards and a Howa. All are really accurate for me with no particular effort. But my gunsmith prefers to work on the Rem 700 so guess we will go that way. Thank you to all for your input.

By the time you have the Rem 700 action blueprinted and re-barreled it is still a semi-custom. Having said that you're not too far to a real custom action parts, IIWY, I would build with this instead >>> http://www.swpcustom.com/stpkg.html
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you get a 700 action for the Short Mag, you can build a 6.5 SAUM-4S. It has equal or better ballistics of the 264 Winchester Magnum, and over 2500 rounds of barrel life, as it burns about 15% less powder.

You can get loaded rounds, and brass from Copper Creek...

...or you can just have one built...

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2014-custom-rifles/ga-precision-xtreme-hunter.html

Best
  • MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW! Now all I needed was more options to consider. Thanks all
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And FWIW IMO you're better off buying a whole used gun and cannibalize it for parts rather than buying just an action. You can get some $$ out of your extra parts that you don't need to help off set some of the costs.