In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Adjustable LOP and adjustable comb shotgun

poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
My problem is that I'm a long, tall left hander looking to buy my first semi auto shotgun with extra length of pull and drop at the heel with a higher comb. Some of the new semi-autos come with adjustable LOP but they usually have plastic stocks that can't be reworked for an adjustable comb. What is the best way to go to get a fully adjustable stock and a semi-auto shotgun?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you using a left handed action? The LOP is mostly done with shim pieces. A 2 rail system with the vertical adjustment for the drop and perhaps cant control. You could do the same for a cheek piece.

Look at adjustable target rifle stocks for ideas. http://www.masterclassstocks.com/galleryofrifles.html
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    posh,

Unfortunately it sounds like you want this adjustability to be inexpensive. The first URL below has something that may work for you and is a reasonable price. However, proper fit of a shotgun will always have an impact on your accuracy and consistency so it's better to have a properly fitted stock and just accept the price. You can buy the adjustable parts and let the stockmaker put them into a piece of wood or you can get Wenig take care of the process and send you the stock when it's finished.

http://www.jackweststocks.com/index_files/Adjustable_Stocks.htm

http://www.graco-corp.com/

http://www.stockpositioning.com/butt_plate_assembly.htm

Not cheap but a good stockmaker capable of making the proper type of adjustable stock for your shotgun:

http://wenig.com/

Best.

Sorry for the delay but work is running at a 7-day-a-week pace and I haven't had time to write here.

If you have the capabilities to perform the work then I suggest buying the parts for the butt stocks and cheek piece and enjoy the process. However, if you are not inclined to do this then I suggest using someone like Wenig to get it done correctly. They are good people to work with and do excellent work for rifles and shotguns.

Otherwise the suggested shotguns above or many others listed on the Auction side may fulfill your needs without any work at all. I did my own trap and skeet shotguns for competition because it's in my capabilities range although I do very little wood stock making now.

Start a new thread if you want to discuss this more or get more input.

Best.
  • poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense: Thanks for your reply. Good fit is the main object not price. A little history: About 45 years ago I bought a couple of Fajen inletted, semi- finished LH stocks and fitted them for me and my Ithaca 37s in 12 and 20 gauge thinking I could hunt with them for the rest of my life. I was wrong; I've shrunk over the years and the guns don't fit anymore. My thinking now is that if the stock is adjustable for the critical dimensions I can adjust the fit as needed. Does the above info change your answer?

I'd also appreciate your recommendation as to the semi-auto gun. I've been thinking gas operated to get the most recoil reduction. Do you have an opinion on the Remington V3?

Best regards, posh
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO your biggest problem with the adj. comb is that the parts that make the adjustment possible are in the stock, right where the auto system is.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    IMO your biggest problem with the adj. comb is that the parts that make the adjustment possible are in the stock, right where the auto system is.

WHAT?????

Ask around the trap and skeet ranges, you'll find a lot of help there.
    Here is a used one that is like what you need.
    RightSideStock.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun

WHAT?????

Ask around the trap and skeet ranges, you'll find a lot of help there.
    Here is a used one that is like what you need.
    RightSideStock.jpg

The OP stated that he wanted an auto, which most of them have the recoil spring going thru the butt stock. What model of an auto O/U is that you posted anyway[;)]
    edited November -1
    My pic was of a good adjustable stock, couldn't care what the action is.

Here's one of the most common autoloader there is, a Rem 1100.
    just about any action shotgun can be fitted with an adjustable stock.

model_1100_competition_carbon_fiber__order_82821__stock_02_18.jpg

and a winchester..
    Winchester-SX3-Sporting-Shotgun.jpg

and a Fabarm {like a Beretta]
    XLR5buttstock.jpg
    edited November -1
    Anybody got a good recipe for Crow??[B)] It's been awhile since I looked at an autoloading target gun. Nice job Bob!
    edited November -1
    Anybody got a good recipe for Crow??[B)] It's been awhile since I looked at an autoloading target gun. Nice job Bob!

Not to worry, I never made a misstake either.
    [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun

Not to worry, I never made a misstake either.
    [;)]

Funny thing is that a buddy of mine has one of the 1100 competition guns and I totally spaced it off[B)]For some reason all I could get thru my head was having an existing gun retro fitted. Kinda like no being able to see the forest but not the trees.