In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

trouble staining a stock

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I refinished a gun stock. I used citrus strip. I washed it off with water and an abrasive pad and let it dry. I then scrubbed it with paint thinner and a steel wool pad and let it dry. I stained it today and I have a huge blotch bigger than a half dollar. Its much darker than the surrounding areas. Any ideas how I can fix it?

Comments

• Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have refinished quite a few stock, no pro! I have run into the same thing and it was due to the stock not being completely dry that cause the discoloring. I use acetone to clean the finish off the stock, I use soap and water to clean the stock then use acetone in a spry container to get the wood completely clean. The acetone acts to dry the wood and get rid of moisture and clean any oil or stains out of the wood. When I get the stock completely clean and dry I let it hang for a few day before I try to put any finish on the stock.

Emmett
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OTOH, if you don't have a walnut stock, you may be out of luck. Birch, beech, & Chicom junkwood don't take stain evenly.

Neal
  • HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    djh860---I have refinished many dozen stocks, and have never run into the problen you describe. The biggest difference I see, is that I always use industrial strenght paint stripper. Sometimes three to four coats. Scrubbing with a stiff brush (plastic bristles), and rinsing with water. let dry several days, then spray thoroughly, from tip to buttstock with acetone. I use my HVLP to apply the acetone under pressure, (outside of course, this is very flammable). Let dry completely. Sand any areas where old finish may still appear. Take it down to orig. wood with 320-400 wt. paper. Then sand entire stock with the 400 wt., always going with the grain. Realize that wood always takes the stain differently from place to place on the same stock. End grain will be much darker, so use the stain sparringly in those areas There is always a posssibility that there may be old oil in the wood also, which will effect both the color, and how much stain it will take.
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well this stock was in bad shape when I started. It may have had gun oil in the stock. I did clean when all stripping and sanding was done with a paint stripper. The directions on that said I could stain in 30 minutes. It was a clear liquid that evaporated very fast. I rubbed that in with 0000 steel wool.

Can I bleach the blotch? Can I sand it out? Can I darken surrounding areas?
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not the original owner of the gun stock and are not certain what may be the source of the stain. Start all over and when you have it stripped down bleach it then give it a a final sanding. Let it dry completely b4 finishing...
    Good Luck!
  • ta812002ta812002 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where on the stock is the dark spot?
    If it is on end grain, this is normal.
    Your best bet would have been to use a pre-stain conditioner, which opens the grain so that it will take the stain more evenly.

Staining light colored wood on stocks is for the birds.
  • vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have found easy off oven cleaner will pull the oil out of the stock where ever oil has transfered from iron to wood. never harmed any of the wood i've used it on but i wash it off with copious amounts water soon after it quits foaming. in my opion true oil on the wood with no stain what so ever makes for a killer finish. one tip though is do not use 000 steel wool between coats. the little metal fibers tend to impregnat the stain (unless you like the metal flake look. wait till the oil is completely dry and use 600 grip automotive paper to sand with. after about six or eight coats the wood is smooth as glass. good luck
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strip the stock again a then use Oxylic acid to bleach the wood. I've used it to remove oil darkened stains, works very quickly and can be gotten at any quality paint or hardware store
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    "Well this stock was in bad shape when I started"

Hawk's advice mirrors mine....after I get the stock back from the local furniture repair shop*. Best, Joe

*Furniture stripping/repair. Found in the Yellow Pages. The stock will be dipped into a commercial stripping vat, whereby all residue/grease, etc is removed.

You will receive a totally dry, completely new looking, 'in the white' piece of wood. Wood that screams "I need a drink"