In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

lever revolution ammo question?

turkeyhunter36089turkeyhunter36089 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a ruger super blackhawk 44 magnum that I hunt with and was just wondering if there would be any benefit to use the lever revolution ammo instead of the regular pistol rounds? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't going to hurt anything to use them, but I don't think you would see any huge benefits. Would be a benefit if you use it in a rifle as well I guess.

Jon
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    Isn't going to hurt anything to use them, but I don't think you would see any huge benefits. Would be a benefit if you use it in a rifle as well I guess.

Jon

+1

Also your choice of load would depend on your intended target. Deer would probably be decent but I am not sure how effective it would be on something heavier like a bear vs a hard cast bullet.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by turkeyhunter36089
    I have a ruger super blackhawk 44 magnum that I hunt with and was just wondering if there would be any benefit to use the lever revolution ammo instead of the regular pistol rounds? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Its actually fairly hot ammo in its own right. Good review here:
    http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/HG_1207_03/

The ammo is mainly intended for use in tubular mag rifles.

Basically the special soft pointy bullet combined with proprietary powders give you more velocity and better energy retention than you'd get with usual flat-point bullets.

Whether or not it makes sense to use this in a handgun vs other types of ammo, depends largely on what you are trying to shoot, but it should make good hunting ammo for deer or similar game.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I notice a significant improvement in both drop and group size shooting 357 Leverevolution in the lever guns at 100 yards and out.

I would imagine the same would be true in a handgun, but I am next to worthless with a handgun past 50 yards, and doubt there would be a big ballistic improvement at that range.

It is supposed to expand more consistently than HP or SP projectiles.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking of trying them in my Ruger 44 carbine with the tubular magazine.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use .45 long colt in my 94 trapper, and have used them in the Vaqueros. They give me a slight edge in accuracy with the revolvers, but I have never shot them over a chrono, so I have no clue about velocity. In a revolver any difference is likely negligible. I also use LeverRev in .30-30 .32 Win Special. Have not tried .357 yet.