In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington scope mounts

chopper007chopper007 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington Model 30 Express 30-06,(circa 1927). I want to put a new scope on it. I don't know much about them or the kind of mounts I would need. I want to be able to shoot 500+ yds. The gun is in flawless working condition with an old Weaver scope on it now.A new, more modern one would be perfect for it, keeping the price under $400.

Comments

• HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the presently mounted scope has a 1" tube you would probably do well to use the mounts that are already on the rifle. A prime consideration would be size of the ocular lens (back) bell and objective (front) bell. A replacement scope might hit the rifle if the bells on either end are too large. If that is a problem you might correct it by getting taller rings to fit the present bases. It seems that many shooters are afflicted with the "bigger is better" syndrome when buying a scope. I think there is rarely a need for a 50mm objective lens on a hunting scope.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    fwiw the 30 rem. uses the same scope mounts as the 1917 enfield (modified to rem. contour)
  • chopper007chopper007 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herschel---The scope rings are 3/4".I've talked to a few different people about the size of the scope and they said the same thing,you don't need to go big.Back to the rings,I think getting taller one's will be the better way to go.Thanks for the advice.