In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Smith 10 Serial # Question

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Ask the Experts
Am out of state and on phone, trying to use my C & R to buy a Smith 10 - square butt, diamond grips, "C" prefix and serrated ramp front sight. Serial is 670,000. Needs to be C & R eligible for the deal to go through. Am I in luck, or dead in the water?

The best the gun store could do was "not sure". They figured C prefix goes to 999,999 ending in '67, couldn't find where a mid-600K would fall.

I can't use "ship to an in state FFL, CA won't let me - unless it's C & R.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S & W book lists C622700 to C810532. "1963 to 1965". I would think that the 670000 range dates to 1964.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad luck.

I agree with R-S that 1964 is likely the YOB, but S&W has always manufactured in batches based upon orders & availability of parts. We have no definitive source to prove to the seller that it was made in 1964, or, if made in 1965, what month.

You really can't fault a gun shop owner who doesn't want to take a chance on losing his business.

Neal
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Bad luck.

I agree with R-S that 1964 is likely the YOB, but S&W has always manufactured in batches based upon orders & availability of parts. We have no definitive source to prove to the seller that it was made in 1964, or, if made in 1965, what month.

You really can't fault a gun shop owner who doesn't want to take a chance on losing his business.

Neal

I understand their position entirely. You gotta' love CA. My FFL is comfortable putting it as C & R exemption, that's how it would be documented in CA.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

I understand their position entirely, would probably take the same approach. You gotta love CA. No one can say for certain when this gun wax made, including the state if CA and the manufacturer. My FFL is comfortable putting it as C & R, but hell - who knows. Maybe I should put it on layaway for 6 months. #128521;

Move across the Colorado river, and leave all the callie BS behind you.

15 years ago, when I went East across the bridge at Blythe. With all my toys. Soon as I was on the AZ side. I said to myself, "free at last", "free at last. Haven't been back since.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    The S & W book lists C622700 to C810532. "1963 to 1965". I would think that the 670000 range dates to 1964.

The store is trying to help out a bit - they're looking in the S & W book and can't find info. Is there a page you can direct them to?
    edited November -1

The store is trying to help out a bit - they're looking in the S & W book and can't find info. Is there a page you can direct them to?

"The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", 3rd Edition, by Supica & Nahas. Page 399.
    edited November -1

Thank you - dsf

"The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", 3rd Edition, by Supica & Nahas. Page 399.