In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Smith and wesson

hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Ask the Experts
Looking for the model number on a smith and wesson under the cylinder and the number doesn't match any model number I can find. 694 no dashes and a B stamped near what am I missing.
Thanks

Comments

• hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Smith Snub in 38 special with a screw in front of the trigger gaurd serial # 423xx. Can any one tell me about this gun?Is this a "I" frame? Will J frame grips fit on it?
    edited November -1
    I have inherited a model 36....it has diamond wood grips and is nickel plated....it has a serial number xxjxxx.....any idea how I can find a manufacture date?....is it ok to put the serial number here? What other info would u need?
    edited November -1
    I have a Smith and Wesson Pre war M&P serial number 3208xx. Can any one tell me the date of manufacture?
    edited November -1
    HOW MUCH IS A 357 SMITH AND WESSON HAND GUN WORTH? 9 1/2 WITH 4 INCH BARRELL , BRAND NEW STAINLESS STEELE
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to post some pic's. I don't think they made a 38 Special in an I (32) frame, 5 shot in 38 S&W not special. You need I frame grips for I frames and J frame grips on J frames.

added http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/147951-38-baby-chief-pics.html

Go look at pictures over there for "I" frames and baby chief's until you find something that matches what you have.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Chief's Special from about 1951-1952.
    By then they had gone to the J frame, only the very earliest Baby Chief's retained the I frame butt.
    edited November -1
    I was told it is a transition 5 screw and very rare in a 38 special.Does this sound right?
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to SCSW you might see Chief's with about any combination of 3,4,or 5 screw frames, I or J grip straps, and ramp or round front sight for the first couple of years.
    More screws seems less common.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are two baby Chiefs. The top one has the early I frame grips and the round trigger guard. The bottom one has the J frame grips and a more elongated trigger guard. They are both .38 special, 5 shot revolvers.
    orig.jpg

This is a 6 shot Military& police. It is a six shot, K frame, .38 special. All three revolvers have the screw in the front of the trigger guard.
    orig.jpg

So is yours 5 or 6 shot? They're all a little scarce, but not really rare.

orig.jpg
    standard.jpg