In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Igor Orlov WWII/Cold War Spy FN Hi-Power

danvozdanvoz Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Igor Orlov WWII/Cold War Spy FN Hi-Power

I have a numbers-matching (slide/frame/barrel opposite side) Belgium Browning Hi-Power mfg. by Fabrique Nationale, with a 1966 sales receipt for Igor Gregory Orlov while he was living in Alexandria, VA. I'll let you Google his service history with Soviets/Germans/US.

My question is...how much collector value might be assigned to a firearm that was owned by someone like Orlov. It was purchased while he was under investigation by the CIA/FBI as being the mole Sasha.

It's not rusty at all, but it looks likes it's seen a lot of use as a pre-war military/police contract pistol. Could be WWII, but I'm not current on the gun's markings. The gun came with two magazines, flap-style holster and the receipt neatly tucked inside. The holster is stamped cgn43 with the WaA920 eagle Nazi mark.

Any info would be helpful.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksander_Kopatzky

I'm sure it will add something, but you need big names/events to add a lot of value. Find and prove its the Broom Handle Mauser that Winston Churchill carried during the Boer War, that would have value.

added: nice pistol. good pic's. Only missing a slot and tangent J/K. For insurance purposes I'd find a really hi ball appraisal.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Factory original Pre W W II, ( prior to 1940), High Powers. Are in of themselves, valuable. Either provide quality photos. Or partial serial number and specific description of markings.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no way to definitively answer this question without putting it up for auction and seeing what the market for it will bear.

Guns owned by famous people tend to have more value if they actually saw use of some kind, or at least people of major significance.

Sounds like you're describing a personal firearm owned by someone who is of relatively minor historical significance. . .it will be worth more than an otherwise similar gun with no historical connection. . .though probably not a huge amount more.
  • danvozdanvoz Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to the dropbox where you can see hi-res pictures.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xrxxa983x53o0tn/AACOl_nkjNmiQ1hSl1rGT72Ka?dl=0

Hope this helps at least narrow down a production date-range.
    edited November -1
    See link below.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xrxxa983x53o0tn/AACOl_nkjNmiQ1hSl1rGT72Ka?dl=0

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Factory original Pre W W II, ( prior to 1940), High Powers. Are in of themselves, valuable. Either provide quality photos. Or partial serial number and specific description of markings.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Neat old gun with bill of sale from gun shop to named person Is great
    proof of who owned it at one time
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the 1950's FN made contract H-P's, for a number of military and paramilitary organizations. The West German border guards and Austrian police,are two that come to mind. Many of these H-P's were exported and sold as surplus, to the U.S. in the 60's. Most were in excellent condition.

I believe this is the origin of your HP. I will dig into my books, and see if I can find out anymore.

EDIT #1,

According to the book "FN Browning Pistols", by Vanderlinden. The West German contract serial numbers, were interspersed between 28,000 & 60,000. The West German pistols, weren't marked

The Austrian order was during the same time frame in the 1950's, for 10,000 H-P's. The Austrian pistols were hand stamped on the front grip strap alpha numerically. Usually with the first 3 letters being, "LGK".

Since your pistol doesn't fit either of the above criteria. Difficult to say what it is? Other than probably being produced, during the mid 50's? Maybe a early West German contract? As different organizations and States, purchased pistols from Browning independently from each other.
    edited November -1
    Great. I'd really appreciate it. I've since googled "belgium proof marks", and the symbol on the barrel lug area looks like it could match the proof mark for 1953, if you rotate the picture over 180-degrees. I'm no expert. I haven't found any sources that tell me what the V or the A in a square mean.

http://damascus-barrels.com/bp_images/Belgian_Date_Code_cursive.jpg

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    In the 1950's FN made contract H-P's, for a number of military and paramilitary organizations. The West German border guards and Austrian police,are two that come to mind. Many of these H-P's were exported and sold as surplus, to the U.S. in the 60's. Most were in excellent condition.

I believe this is the origin of your HP. I will dig into my books, and see if I can find out anymore.