In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

custom barrel and contender receiver problems

dirtcopdirtcop Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Have recently purchased an Ingram barrel in .222 and installed it onto an extra tc contender receiver. breach lock is super tight. too tight. have to use both hands to depress lever to open breach. any ideas? adjustments?

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Have you tried feeler stock between the breech face and barrel face? Or, some ink (like a Sharpie) to see if they are touching?

It would be rather simple to use ink to show contact and remove material from the barrel face at the high spots. That is, if you are familiar with such operations.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Could be too tight on the locking lugs. My first one had the same tightness there.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try it on one of your other receiver before you fit it to the one it is on now. Look for any burr or marks on the working surfaces while you have it apart.

Added Sharpie Black is a lot thinner and tougher than candle/stick match soot black.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a similar experience, and it was the locking lugs. Tight is good, but it needs to be functional too. I put some lapping compound on the lugs, and worked it over around 50 times...still snug, but more functional.

Best
  • Options
    dirtcopdirtcop Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys. all good advise. will try the lapping compound first.