In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vintage Military Experts help identify USMC piece

tipupstipups Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone id this canvas carrier? All input appreciated.
I have looked everywhere I can think of. Thanks
143a.jpg
142a.jpg
141a.jpg
140a.jpg
139a.jpg
138a.jpg

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    tool bag,,large machine gun support bag??
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    F6 has it, machine parts bag, the spare barrel goes on the bottom, straps holding it [;)]
  • tipupstipups Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not too sure of that. It has the name WR CHAMBERLAND and CAPTAIN USMC stenciled under the leather handle.(strange for a mg set). I thought it might be a personal gear carrier similar to the early bedroll roll up.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think that is GI issue. Wrong handles. No cage numbers or id numbers. Possible used as a maps/papers/documents carrier.
  • RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet when he got it unpacked his trousers needed pressed.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it started life as a MG bag, then it was field converted by the good Capt. I still my TLs 29 kit that was given to me by the cable and wire boys. They ran about 18 miles of spiral 4 wire 3 times on cold and miserable night due to an incompetent radio relay operator. The platoon Sargent came and ask me to go have a look. Nothing wrong any of their wire or repeaters, the bozo didn't have the cable multiplexer turned on or cabled up correctly. I stamped my initials on the leather tool carrier and dyed it black, plus I electro penciled the tools. I kept the receipt until I was a PFC again.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks to have made Major. Chamberlin won the Navy Cross and Silver Star. Was at Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian.

Executive Officer, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines

Awarded the Navy Cross for action on Betio island during 20-24 November 43:

"For oustanding leadership and uncommon valor, and disregarding personal saftey. Chamberlin cleaned out machinegun nests along the saewall and, although wounded, directed operations on the extreme left of the beachhead. He led attacks against numerous bunkers and commanded the destruction of an important enemy bombproof."
    Maj. Chamberlin was from Seattle, Washington. He was wounded on Betio.

http://tarawaontheweb.org/chamberlin.htm
    What's next?
  • tipupstipups Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found this this morning. They call it a ''WWI US Army Officer's Light Canvas Clothing Valise / Bedroll''
    The one I have is marked USMC PHILDA. DEPOT
    Thanks to all who answered.
    See here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/231287613086?rmvSB=true
  • RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup,gave you a hint because i could not remember what it was called. ( Valise )Not 100% sure its WWI,maybe post WWI on yours note buttons or snaps.
  • gunny33gunny33 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty neat piece of history! I wonder if any relative or the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico might be interested?

Semper fi