In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pre-ban 100rd 5.56 C-MAG

usmccjcusmccjc Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Ask the Experts
Just wondering what one is worth? Confirmed from Betamag that they are pre-ban and legal anywhere.

Comments

• usmccjcusmccjc Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To clarify, have 3. The spring in one let go, went back in forth with Betamag to make sure they could ship it back (I'm in MA). Awesome customer service. Gave most recent serial number and it was manufactured 1996. Pretty much brand new, feed great. Just curious, looking at a Sig716 DMR and am debating if I sell one or two.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    There are quite a few of them over on the auction side in the $250-$280 range for the complete setup.
    edited November -1
    Is that pre-ban? Legal in MA/NY/CA?
    Go over to the auction side and do a search on Beta C mag in the Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips For Sale section in the Rifle Parts category. You can draw your own conclusions.
    edited November -1
    I may be wrong, but what beta told me was that they were only in business for 18 months or so before the federal weapons ban. Only ones legal in my dumb state were made in that period. Again, that's just what I was told
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by usmccjc
    I may be wrong, but what beta told me was that they were only in business for 18 months or so before the federal weapons ban. Only ones legal in my dumb state were made in that period. Again, that's just what I was told

They might be legal as far as the feds are concerned. Some States and cities, have much more stringent laws though. If a person in one of these locations, was to buy them. They would have to make sure that they were grandfathered, as being legal prior their state high cap bans went into a effect.

As example. I bought a high cap pistol during the 90's, when I was a resident of California. Sold it on the auction last summer. To a resident of California. My FFL wouldn't ship it to California. Even though it was legally purchased there, 18 years ago.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that pre-ban? Legal in MA/NY/CA?
    Go over to the auction side and do a search on Beta C mag in the Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips For Sale section in the Rifle Parts category. You can draw your own conclusions.

They are NOT legal in NY, as we are restricted to 10 rounds of magazine capacity. Unless you are at an NRA sponsored range, you can only have 7 rounds in that 10 round magazine. It might be legal if it is registered according to NY SAFE act, and was already in the state, when that was enacted. Basically less than a handful of states let you grandfather them in. In the rest...they have no ban's, after the Federal ban of 1994 sunsetted.

EDIT 1
    quote:Bloomberg was known to dispatch his armed thugs to other states.

That was not just his armed thugs. It was also his puppets of prosecutors for hire. He would file frivolous law suits, in which the defendant would be forced to spend a life's savings in legal fees to defend themselves in court...thus financially ruining the defendant.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I bought one just as the ban went away. Found out they were not legal here(in gun) [xx(]
    Our governor just signed that law off the books, goes in 3/15. [:)]
    Now it can be used legally [^]
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, the fellas are correct, there are many states/localities where these are not legal. "Pre-ban" is meaningless in most states.

I would check the "we don't ship" list of one of the large sellers, such as AIM Surplus, Cabellas, Brownells, as they research this & are generally up-to-date. You probably don't want to get into the Constitutional right of states to have jurisdiction over residents of other states, as Bloomberg was known to dispatch his armed thugs to other states.

Neal
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

They might be legal as far as the feds are concerned. Some States and cities, have much more stringent laws though. If a person in one of these locations, was to buy them. They would have to make sure that they were grandfathered, as being legal prior their state high cap bans went into a effect.

As example. I bought a high cap pistol during the 90's, when I was a resident of California. Sold it on the auction last summer. To a resident of California. My FFL wouldn't ship it to California. Even though it was legally purchased there, 18 years ago.

The reason your FFL wouldn't ship is the law changed after you bought the gun. On 1-1-2000 the high cap law went into effect in Cal. Also the gun must be on the silly approved list for it to be sent to Cal.

I have 2 of the 100rd C-Mags I bought back in the early 90's. They both are 100% reliable. They came in black nylon cases with loaders, lube, and set of instructions.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In CA, it cannot be bought, sold, imported, or lent regardless of when it was manufactured. Which means even if you have one in this state, it stays with you unless you send it out of state.